I want your 1st car stories!

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello all,

I am producing a documentary feature for PBS titled "My First Car". It is stories about the first car people had in the period from 1905-1930. Unfortunately, we're short on stories!

Do you know of anyone that recieved their first car in that period? Did you buy your classic off the original owner who told you some great stories about it?

Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Ryan Knight

Varied Directions

rk002003@pomona.edu

Comments

• hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    I would think you might just be a little short on people too - someone who had their first car in 1930, and were age 15 (not an impossibility back then) by today they'd be 90 years old. 1920, they would be 100. If you get more realistic and say they were 20 when they got their first car, well add 5 years to the above.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • and all things considered, looking for 80-100 year old users of the internet is probably not going to turn up a lot of people either...

Not to sound mean, but did anyone consider trying going to any of the retirement homes, and interviewing some residents? There are a lot of people in there that probably don't get visitors, often, and would probably like to have someone take an interest in their lives for a change.
  • YOU ARE IN TROUBLE, IF YOU WANT A FIRST HAND STORY. ANYONE IN THAT ERA WOULD BE OVER 85 YEARS OLD NOW, il AM 70 AND GOT MY FIRST CAR IN 1954, THATS A LONG WAY FROM 1930, bill albright
  • Actually, I started out with the same attitude as you all and wasn't looking at all for people still alive, but I have recieved an incredible number of positive responses from people putting me in contact with older relatives and friends they know have good stories.

Obviously, I'm not going to find someone on the internet who recieved their first car in 1912. But, I may find someone whose family got their frist car in 1935 and can remember the looks their neighbors gave them while driving it home to the family farm sitting in his/her father's lap.

The dates aren't totaly strict. The phenomenon of owning your first car has changed amazingly little in the history of automobiles. My first post was mostly just fishing for people with the perfect contact/story.

I will be going to nursing homes, but I'd like to go to specific nursing homes rather than just walking into one and getting a whole bunch of info on what owning a car was like in San Mateo but nothing on the rest of the country.

So if anyone remembers an article in a magazine, or their Grandfather talking about how much life changed after he bought his Model T in '27 feel free to call me at 608.469.2007 or email me at rk002003@pomona.edu. I want to know what it tasted like to buy your first car in the middle of your life when cars were, perhaps not a novelty, but at least brave and new.

Thank you,

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.