New weekend of Hudson fun.... long...

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
It seems that some of you like hearing my trials and tribulations with my hudson, here's the latest...

Okay, so I took it out for it's last drive on Saturday, before I began operation twin-h-power swap....

It was fun, drove well, no problems. Got it home and let it cool off. (since I am removing the intake/exhaust manifold assembly) I worked on my twin h aircleaners for a bit.

Anyway, got the manifold off, after struggling with the exhaust pipe flange bolts a bit, but everything came off great. I found one of my exhaust leaks, right in the center of the exhaust manifold, to the block. My dad got the old WGD for his 52 Hornet coupe, since he is getting close to starting it, figured a known good carb would eliminate some of his variables. (I kept all of the mounting nuts, and washers, and fittings.... hey, I need them for my twin h swap...)

So got the manifolds split, and started checking out the exhaust manifold, OH NO.... it is cracked, right above the collector, not what I was hping for. I really ruined my day. Also, the exhaust pipe has a grand hole right in the vicinity of the clamp to block/transmission, which further explains my exhaust leak. (I figured the exhaust manifold was partly to blame)

So I closed up shop, after I cleaned up, and called it a day. Stoped at Autozone, ordered a fuel pump, cap, rotor, condensor, and points for my dad's 52 Hornet, picked up a coil for him, and checked out some motor mount possibilities...

Sunday, me and Abby (my 3 1/2 year old) ventured over to the hudson, for some father daughter fun, and even though dissappointment from Saturday was still with me, i figured I would start with the aircleaners. I prepped the oil bath bases for red paint, and sprayed them. THey came out great. Abby wanted to paint them, but I told her maybe some other time....

I then started on working on the main air cleaner bodies. I sanded, and sanded, and filled some, and finally got them where I thought they were pretty decent. They started life with some dents and dings, and some scale, but they came out pretty well.

I hung them up to paint, after I was pleased with them, sprayed them, got them real nice, for what I started with, and was real happy with the level of gloss, etc...

As you all know, this is going to take a turn somewhere, here it comes...

The aircleaners were hanging for a few hours, I thought I would take them home to further dry, so i strung a cord across the upper interior handles in my tahoe, figuring I could hang them and stabilize them, and drive home, being a short trip.... wrong.... I brought one over to hang up, and wouldn't it figure, I dropped it... AHHHH

I threw some choice words out, picked it up, hung it back with the other one, and proceeded to fix it. Lucikly, the paint was somewhat forgiving, but I know the spots are still there.... I ended up re-spraying both aircleaners, and was more pleased with how they came out the second time... (with exception)

We decided it would be better to hang them in the garage, overnight, and that's where they went for now....

To make it all better, we managed to dig out a 50 exhaust manifold that is not cracked, with a good heat flapper, spring, etc... and the only things that need done are to have a broken stud extracted, and have a heat riser tube drilled.

So it was a decent weekend anyway....

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I'm still gloating over here because I can't drive mine yet - and you're tearing yours apart again! - :(

I've decided to sacrifice another one of my loves for the 49 - its a 1976 CJ-5 Renegade with a factory V8, 3sp.

fp_7601.jpg

fp_7602.jpg

fp_7603.jpg

I've owned it since 1991 and it's the 3rd CJ5 I have had since 1980 - that's right I have owned at least one CJ-5 for over 25 years! This one was my DAILY DRIVER for over 10 years but has sat for the last 5 years since I got Rambo The Dog - with no tailgate it sits too high to safely and easily get the pooch in and out without totally destroying the seats or injuring the dog.

Anyway... I've got to sell it to get some money for the Hudson so the 49 has been sitting there lonely for the last couple of days while I have been bolting some parts back on the CJ to get her up for sale

I'm the 3rd owner - it was originally an Eastern Washington vehicle so has very little rust issues (all fixed now) and even has the original glove box liner (very rare for a CJ because of leaky windows) and the orginal owners manual. Here is some of the work I have done recently...

• Complete paint last year with air-brushed custom Renegade sticker re-creation on hood and cowl (wait til you see the pics)
    • New windshield/window frame and seal
    • New tail-lights, side marker and turn signals
    • New factory repop fender extensions
    • New gas-tank, sending unit and filler hose
    • New battery
    • Newer radiator
    • 304 V8 bored .30 over with a RV cam Edelbrock Performer with 600cfm with electric choke (about 25k miles on her now)
    • Newer Brake shoes, drums and hardware
    • Tilt Wheel and Column from 1987 CJ-7 (direct bolt-in replacement) - I still have the original column and wheel
    • High Back Black Laredo front seats from a 1988 Wrangler Laredo (direct bolt-in replacement - factory mid-back seats long gone...)
    • Original Levi Denim Back Seat (not installed)
    • 2 1/2" lift kit with Rancho 5000 shocks
    • Factory Power Steering
    • Factory Power Drum Brakes
    • Original AM Radio
    • Steelhorse lockable console
    • 6pt roll cage

What it needs at 171k miles (thats right 171k - you won't believe it when you see the pics)

There is a vibration caused by the lift kit installation which will require a rebuild/replacement of the transmission/transfer case. It is driveable but will need to be done sooner rather than later and other than the engine the rest of the drivetrain is original and should eventually be gone through. Oh yeah, the chome 5 spokes are about 20 footers and the rubber is marginal but would last until winter.

I won't have pics for a couple of days yet but I was going to list her for 8500.00 obo - I know it seems like a lot given it still needs some work but it is rare and in extremely good shape for a Cj5 of any era! And it has history - I have all receipts and can walk you top to bottom - front to rear and tell you about every inch of the car and what is underneath or what was done to it!

If you know anyone that is into CJ5's or just nice 4x4 toys contact me - I want to sell it in the next 2-4 weeks.

Dan
  • Nothing like Hudsoning on the 4th of July! A bit of independence for the Super Wasp on Independence Day.

I have been driving the Super Wasp quite a bit lately and decided I'd like to see the '49 Super Six coupe on e-bay in Russellville Ky. Its not far from me and I've wanted to have a visit with fellow HET'er Mickey Craus. Dang good reason to get the Wasper out on the highway and do some visiting.

We had a blast! Cruising down the backroads of beautiful rural Kentucky, 308 purring and wheels a' turning. I hope Mickey had as much fun as I did. I did have a bit of comical distress getting used to the vacuum windshield wipers, that delay acton associated with the gas pedal is rather unique - but at least they worked!

We took in the Super Six, offered our assessment to the owners - and headed on back home.

The more I drive that car - the less I want to change about it.

Mark Hudson
  • UPDATE:

got my aircleaners at home now, the one isn't too bad, but will have to be put in the back... Paint is only so forgiving....

My dad managed to get the broken stud out of the manifold, now all I got to do is get some proper length bolts tomorrow, get an exhaust pipe bent, scrub down the right side of the engine, and start putting it back together.

Hopefully it will be back running in another two weeks....
This discussion has been closed.