47 PU electric

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
More questions on my newly acquired 47 PickUp. We here is the electric system delima. It came here with a 12volt battery with postitive ground. The generator looks like it is orginal. There is a 308 in it. The head lights work, the horn works and it starts and runs. I don't know what is 6 volt and what is 12 if any (lights must be). Is there any good information on converting to 12volts out there? How can I tell what if any has been conveted? I am willing to use any current parts to replace the Hudson ones. I am not trying to make it look like stock. Only make it a good driver and keep Hudson engine.

Comments

• Well the original wiring if in good shape will handle 12v just fine, starter ok as long as you dont grind on it. Generater I would replace with an altenater. Change all bulbs and you are good to go.Use a zenior diode to convert insturments to 12v. only way to tell if gen. is 12v or 6v is to check on tag.
  • What about the Voltage regulator and the points?
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    The best way to get answers to all of your questions is to do 2 things: 1st: go to www.hudsonclub.org and click on "links" take a good look at Dave Sollon's page and Ken Cate's page. These will answer a whole lot of your questions. 2nd: while you are on the hudson site, join the National Club and your local chapter. Welcome to the crazy and often frustrating world of Hudsons.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Cosmo,

My guess is that someone just stuck a 12V battery in the car, and it's still basically a 6V positive ground. I know from experience this will work as a temporary setup, to move the car around, etc. The 6V bulbs will even work, for a while, anyway. I second the advice to switch to 12V alternator (with internal regulator) system.
This discussion has been closed.