Hudson thermostat question...

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Okay, I was thinking of pulling my thermostat and putting another one in, to solve an issue where my hudson seems to run a tad bit hot.

I got a 170 for a 47 and earlier, which physically looks the same as the 51-54 (or thereabouts, except 55-56)

Are they interchangeable?

Will a 47 and earlier work in a 50 commodore 6 (original 262) ?

Also, is there any cross reference for a modern thermostat that anyone is using?

Comments

• hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    H Kid,

Walt Mordenti has figured out how to use a modern thermostat, but it requires a slight modification of the thermostat housing. It will take a Stant #13476, which is a 160 degree unit. Basically, you need to block off the round passage (with a .060 vent hole in the middle). I know he still has several of these housings that he's selling very reasonably. I just bought one from him, in preparation for the drive to Reno this month. I installed it and lowered my temp around 8-10 degrees, as far as I can tell.

I also double and triple checked my ignition timing with the vacuum advance disconnected, and sure enough I was off by a couple of degrees, even though I'd set it recently. This also lowered my engine temp. slightly.

You can contact Walt at 'HETmmordenti@aol.com' (remove the HET)

Good luck,

Doug
This discussion has been closed.