Head gasket

hudsonsplasher1
hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a 212 ci splasher engine, and would like some advise on what to use on the head gasket to make it seal the way it should. Any info much appreciated.

Comments

• I have found that making sure the surfaces are prepared real well, both the head, and the engine, level, and if need be, take the head to a machine shop and have a clean-up cut made, for the $40 to give it that arc'd circular surface. Make sure you chase the bolt threads in the block witha good tap. Buy new grade 8 bolts... Clean both surfaces with acetone, keep them spotless before you put it all together, and evenly spray the head gasket (which should be flat and undamaged, and new) with the permatex copper coat spray on both sides (I ususally hang it with a wire coat hanger).

Lightly coat the threads of the head bolts with a little bit of oil, not too much. Follow the shop manual for the proper torquing specs and order, and don't skip any steps. After you run it, re-check the torque, with a reputable torque wrench of course...

I hope I gave good advice, and I hope it turns out well for you...
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    I've used hi temp aluminum paint on the gasket - spray both sides, wait until it's tacky, then install. Never lost a gasket and it came apart just fine whenever I've had to pull a head. Used this on various makes of engines I've worked on.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • MOST OF THE INFO OFFERED IS GOOD. EXCEPT YOU HAVE NO HEAD BOLTS, BUT SDTUDS ON THE SPLASHER ENGINES. i HAVE FOUND THAT A SURFACED HEAD AND A CLEAN BLOCK, i USE NOTHING BUT ARMORALL ON THE GASKET. SOAK IT GOOD ADD A FEW SQUIRTS OF 30 WT ON EACH PISTONAND TORQUE TO SPECS. ARMORALL MAKES GASKET SLIPPERY AND HEAD SQUEEZES IT INTO POSITION. I HAVE USED THIS TECHNIQUE OF hORNET RACING ENGINES WITH HIGH COMPRESSION AND NEVER LOST A HEAD GASKET, 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE, FORGET PAINT, SEALERS ETC, USE ARMORALL, BILL ALBRIGHT
This discussion has been closed.