$2000+ For a 308 & hydro?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
A 308 engine and hydro trans just sold for a little over $2000.00 on ebay is this the going rate for a running engine or did two people just get a little caught up in the moment? :confused:

Comments

• I saw that and am still is disbelief. Looks like a case of dueling sniper bots to me, which only goes to show - you bid for yourself and don't leave it to artificial intelligence.
  • Looks a little funny to me...neither of the top two bidders had bid before. That's a mighty jump from $700 to $2000!
  • Well, you've probably had your ears burning then. :D I usually go the other way around, put my max bid in early and then check it the morning of the auction end to see what the status is. If I really need the part, I'll up the bid. However, I'm not one of those guys that watches the auctions all day and night to get the last bid in...I know I've lost auctions and that's part of the game. :D I don't have any hard feelings though, I only bid on stuff I need and when I get it, I'm pleasantly surprised.
  • Ok new question? How much is a 308 and hydro trans in good running conditon worth? and yes I know its whatever a person is willing to pay! but really is there a correct price range or are these engines getting that rare? what do you guys think is a "fair" price?
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Maybe something missing from this discussion is the fact that this was advertised as a complete w/labels, ready to bolt in engine/trans with all attaching bolts

Just locating the bolts and hardware to install could eat up a bit of time - and I figure my free time has to at least be worth as much as I make on the job!

Or maybe the buyer was looking for a correct engine/trans combo to put back into a 54 - or maybe it's going back into the original car, wouldn't that be something?

I watched a car show not too long ago with Craig Barrett and he was showing an early '70's Cuda Convertible that was originally given to an executice of a large company as a gift.

Shortly thereafter the engine (for some reason) was replaced. Anyway - the story is that Barrett purchased the car and then put a bounty out on the original motor from the vehicle. It was found in England where a guy was getting ready to put it into a hot-rod.

Barrett was able to persuade the guy to sell it and now has the original rebuilt and sitting on a stand next to the car.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    If it's an original ready to go 308 w/ hydro complete it may be worth $2 K but if it needs to be rebuilt anyway someone has to dump at least another $3 K into it to rebuild it. It's better to find a block and trans in some barn for $250 then loose your $3000. ...... as far as rarity. A lot of step down owners have put 308's in their Hudsons that originally had 232 or 262's because the physical dimensions of the blocks are the same regardless of c.i.d. and will bolt right up. Only another Hudson guy would know that the 308 didn't belong in the car. Someday the 308's might dry up though if this practice continues. They did make more blocks than cars though I think. After Hudson closed up shop JC Whitney was selling crate motors for a while I hear.

-- And I think outfits like Barret drive up prices unnecesarily to the detriment of everyone else in the hobby.
  • I was interested in this subject mainly because we have been considering selling the drivetrain out of my Dads 49 com., which is now a drag car, We have a 308, with twin H setup, hydro trans, driveshaft, radiator, and the later model spicer rear out of his car but had no idea what it might be worth. The engine is in excellent condition and only has a couple thousand miles on it since it was built by Ben Blackburn shortly before he died. The engine is complete from the twin air cleaners down. We were thinking of putting the engine on a stand with a radiator, battery, etc. to run it for prospective buyers but don't want to give away what is almost a piece of hudson history.
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    Engine kit from Dale Cooper is $1400 so a rebuild is around $5000. with no short cuts
This discussion has been closed.