Hudson Exhaust - Redux - Oval Tubing?

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Without cutting the floor boards up there is not a lot of room under the stepdown for the collector-to-tailpipe tubing and I see there are several companies that make some oval style exhaust tubing -

Has anyone used this style of pipe for a clearance solution before? And if so - how do you like it?

fp_samppipe.gif

Comments

• RG53Hornet
    RG53Hornet Senior Contributor
    Are there mufflers made for this stuff?
  • rambos_ride
    Yes, I have seen mufflers listed as well.

I haven't done a lot of research yet on prices and quality - I thought the oval tubing might snug up under there for my application better than round tubing and I was just wondering if anyone has used it.
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Regular pipe works fine. I have round 2" dual exhaust on both the collector boxes from Clifford headers and Hudson 7X manifolds. My pipes were made up by local exhaust shop and fit fine with no ground clearance problems. Last dual set up I hade made last summer with aluminized pipe, steet pack mufflers, chrome exhaust tips and installation cost $450.00 complete. I have had same set up on our 51 Hornet for 13 years with no problems and it sits low to ground. 51cb.jpg
  • rambos_ride
    dave s - nice ride! Did she come with the Continental Kit and is that sidepipe exhaust?
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Continental kit is modified 54 kit. I used all factory framework and made up new pans for between bumper and body. Hopw I did it is shown at http://home.earthlink.net/~dsollon/public.htm/ourcars.htm.

Side pipes are fake and removable, mounted on GM seat belt brackets. Push release button and they come off.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Dave,

So are the dual pipes routed outside (below) the cross-member cut-out that is shared by the stock single pipe and the driveshaft?

Thanks,

Doug
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    It seems like this oval tubing might help to fit two pipes through this cut-out, if you oriented them 'vertically'.
This discussion has been closed.