RADIO CONVERSION, 6 v to 12 v; what\'s required?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I am told that a resistor of 1.3 ohms, 50 Watts will not do the job.

Does anyone know EXACTLY what must be done to achieve this upgrade

w/o "frying" the radio. Don't want to take any chances!!

Comments

• This website gets into the concept in a detailed way; still I'd like
    any opines that you experts may have. Looks like I need to contact
    my radio-expert-friend.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~lhealey/vespa/regulator/
  • Hi 54,
    You'll need a power inverter to safely drop the voltage (and amps) and disapate the heat. Using a resistor as you suggest will probably fry the resistor. The radio will safely take up to 9 volts. i'm sure JC Whitney has them.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    The radio draws 4.6 amps at 6v. That's about 28 watts. A 1.3 ohm resistor, rated at 50 watts, will work fine.
  • Thanks, Park; but where do I buy one?
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Ah, yes ... how to get from the theoretical to the practical! These things used to be a lot easier to find, but it's getting tough. Look in auto parts stores for a voltage reducer that's for a 5 or 6 amp load. These are typically a round, white ceramic unit with some sort of mounting stud, etc., and will be around 1 ohm resistance, and that's close enough ... it'll give the radio 7 volts instead of 6 on battery power, and about 8v when the alternator's going, which is fine. If you totally strike out, I may have one that that will work. E-mail me directly at pwald@mindspring.com (the bad news is that I'll be out of touch now 'til 5/22). Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.