Question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I am new to the website here and I thought I would introduce myself. My grandpa recently gave me his 1954 Hudson Hornet 4-door. I have been doing some research and I noticed that some Hornets have the "Special" designation and some don't. I was wondering what the Special means. I know mine isn't a special but it seems like that is a good thing. My car is currently buried under a sheet of dust several inches deep. It seems to be in good condition. Anyway, thanks for any information.

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I'll try to answer your question. The Hornet Spl.,made only in 54 was exactly the same body and engine as your Hornet. The Spl. was a cheaper model so it had less trim on the outside and a slightly different interior. The trim was mostly from a Wasp which was a shorter wheelbase car.The front fender stainless trim fits only the 54 Hornet Special. It's the same width as the Wasp trim. but longer because of the Hornets 5" longer wheelbase. The Spl. also had it's own serial number sequence. I suppose it was just another model to try to boost sagging sales in 54. I've had both. All nice cars. Wish I had the Brougham back! I have never seen a 54 Hornet Spl conv.or a Hollywood.. Anyone else ever seen one?

Ain't that the way it goes..one question brings up another.

Dave W. Fl
  • Needed: Transmission yoke for a dual range Hydromatic. Does anybody have a spare? Thanks.
  • Welcome to the forum! Dave has your answer right on the money. The Hornet Specials also seem to have been made late in the year, perhaps after the merger with Nash to make American Motors. I don't have any specific confirmation of that but I seem to remember something along that line...never have seen a Conv or HH in the Special line though.
  • I appreciate the prompt reply and the warm welcome. It seems that if I have any questions, they will be answered within a few days of being posted. Thank you again.
  • il KNOW THE HORNET SPL WAS OFFERED ONLY ON SEDAN AND BROUGHAM .CONV AND HOLLYWOOD WERE LEFT TO THE HIGHER PRICE HORNET. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A HORNET SPECIAL COUPE EITHER. DOING HUDSONS FOR 35 YEARS, AM IN SO CAL, BE GLAD TO HELP WITH INFO OR PARTS ON YOUR RESTORATION, BILL ALBRIGHTS VINTAGE COACH, FONTANA, CA
  • I know that they made a 54 Hornet Special coupe, because I have one. Although I am by no means an expert, it is my opinion, that Hudson knew that the merger with Nash was going to be the death of the Hudson Motor car company. Thus the company tried to use up all the stock they had on hand. By making the front fender spear from the Wasp a little longer, and using the Super Wasp interior in the Hornet, They created a new model. also they depleted overstocked trim and interior parts. Some of this I have reasoned out after talking to a couple of people that worked in the Hudson factory in 54, and one that I met a few weeks ago who was a Hudson salesman for many years.

Just My Opinion

BJ-TN
This discussion has been closed.