Traffic Light Viewfinders- Where do these get mounted?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have seen these but never one mounted. Where do these get mounted? Niels

Comments

• Being an accessory item, they can be mounted almost anywhere to get the job done. I have seen them most often on the dash itself just to the left of the center windshield post or to the left almost next to the pillar. These days though one must be careful to not "block the line of sight", especially since Hudson's windshields give a relatively low vertical height measurement. I have seen tickets issued for those "pine tree" air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror. Just a thought or two.
  • nhp1127 wrote:
    I have seen these but never one mounted. Where do these get mounted? Niels
    Niels

The 50 and later Hudsons were manufactured with a hole drilled in the dash top specifically for this accessory. The hole is covered by the dash top vinyl. It is located on the left side of the dash top approximately 6 inches from the left windshield post. If you have long arms you can reach under the dash and find the hole. Otherwise get a light and look behind the dash. My traffic light finder is mounted in the original hole.

Good Luck
  • on 51 thru 53 there ils a factory hole under the pad almost dilrectly ahead of left slide of steering wheel, poke on pad till you find a quarter inch hole. or reach upunder dash and find it not sure if on 54 but probably is the 48 thru 50 had no provisions but should be placed in approximately same position for best use, BILL ALBRIGHT 35 YEAR HUDSON RESTORER
  • Mine is exactly where Bill and Ken said - works like a charm and its kind of amusing to watch the tops of the trees go by in the little bugger as you cruise around.

Mark
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    If your car does not have hole under pad, like Bill mentioned, give me your snail mail address and I will send you copy of Hudson Traffic light viewer installation instruction sheet. It has template that can be cut out and placed on corner of instrument panel to give you exact location for hole.
  • Dave,

Mine is a 1948 Commodore so there isn't a dash pad. The dash / instrument panel is mint original. I'm a bit wary of drilling a hole in it. Can it be mounted without driling and still look nice? I would appreciate the template..... My address is: Niels Pedersen

# 4 Running Brand Rd,

Rolling Hills, CA 90274

My fax # is (310) 377-5601 is that is easier. I appreciate it! Niels
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Do it, it's only a car! Once it is done, it will look original. Put masking tape down and mark tape before drilling. Instructions say use 1/8" bit, then small round file to enlarge hole to 9/32". Niels, I tried fax number, but no answer. I will send out template in morning mail.

dave s
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    There may be another solution to avoid drilling the dash. There is a clip-on view finder available. It clips to the dash or garnish molding. If you didn't like the looks of he clip-on you might be able to fabricate the clip to your original. Just a thought. Check it out at www.julianos.com and click on catalog, then signal finder under safety catagory.
  • I wonder is it possible to make a magnetic base for that and attach it that way.
  • shadetree
    shadetree Senior Contributor
    My fulton traffic light finder on 51 Hornet is mounted in the exiting bottom wind shield moulding mounting screw, just left of steering wheel, works great and extenting swivel seems to be made for this. remove existing screw and replace with longer screw. I have more questions as to what this is at the car shows than any thing else about the car. The Hudson is a big draw at the shows and has been picked best of show a few times. Melvin
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Of course it's possible to make a magnetic base. All you need is a small magnet and some contact cement.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    I have another idea, that goes along with fabricating a magentic base. Why not make a base and use velcro to mount it? A magnet could possibly scratch the dash but with velcro the tape residue on the dash is the only problem that might occur and "Goo Gone" would take care of that.
This discussion has been closed.