NEED: strip my hood of tar/rust or 54 NOS Wasphood

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'd love to buy a NOS 54 Wasp hood, or find someone with
an oven (~1200 degrees) to heat/bake this one clean;

Someone tarred the underside and it has some bondo and
small patches of rust. Could use but getting the tar re-moved
would probably shed 5-10#s and look a bunch better.

I know there was a Redi-Strip in this area but it closed
last year.

THANKS,

Comments

• why not have it sandblasted? If you do, though, ask for recommendations from local H-E-T chapter members, or AACA members, in your area. An inept sand blaster can of course ruin a piece of sheet metal.
  • John, The Memphis redi strip sent the work to redi strip of Jackson, Ms. ph (601)355-3317. They may still be striping. That is where the Pacemaker was striped. Removed everything but the steel. BK.
  • i have used propane torch like the one you soder copper with. warm the tar some not to hot them scrap off whatever is left use laquer thinner to remove. LURK
  • My research revealed that Redi-Strip offers a pryolytic cleaning (oven baking)
    followed by a chemical immersion which is a 4-step process, but
    I decided upon using plastic media blasting, something similar
    to sand-blasting but non-damaging. It'll cost more but will be
    the safest thing to do. I'll have to take 2 trips to Nashville to
    deliver and 2 trips (75 miles, one-way) to pickup. This way I
    avoid the potential warpage and chemical residue in cracks
    and hidden areas. Hudson made good parts so I want to take
    the best of care of them. grin.gif
  • John, bead (or media) blasting can damage parts if the person doing it is not careful, just like sand blasting. I can remember seeing parts stripped by dipping over 30 years ago. The solution gets to places that are impossible to get to by any other means. That is the reason that Billy and I decided to dip the Pacemaker. The process is very close to what is done prior to chrome plating and I have never heard of any problems after dipping with any left over residue. If a chrome shop has a big enough vat they may be able to strip your hood. The Pacemaker fender skirts were stripped at the chrome shop simply because they were overlooked when the rest of the car went to Redi-Strip. I would suggest dipping over blasting. That's my 2 cents worth anyway.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I would be wary of any sort of media blasting on something like a hood, even for straight forward rust removal. As has been mentioned there are potential distortion problems if care is not taken. Bitumen removal tends to need a lot more blasting effort which increases distortion risk, as initially the bitumen heats up and softens, and the media clogs into the bitumen.
    There is a side issue here in that the eventually removed bitumen contaminates the blasting media, which is usually a cause of concern to the booth owner.
    I reckon I would be softening and scraping the bitumen as has been suggested already.
    Alternatively, an upside down hood is effectively a big basin, what about a few litres of petrol or mineral turps and swish that around and maybe disolve the bitumen.
    Once the bitumen is gone, there is always the old technique of soaking the hood in a molasses and water solution to get rid of the rust.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Also, bead or media blasting my not take off the tar or undercoating. If the undecoating or tar is rubberized the sand will bounce off it. Then you will wind up hitting the area longer than you should. This will cause the sand, not to warp but dent the area. Not a good idea at all.

Eastwood sells an undercoating removal chemical. Check them out.
    Also, the risk of fire is high with a tourch. Use a good high temp heat gun. Also, it will pull out the body plastic

Also, Gas and Kero will disolve the tar and or undercoating. This to has a good amount of fire damage. BE carefull what ever you use.

T
  • Call John Mann 603-522-3039 He has a NOS 54 Wasp hood-- Try e-mail if you want--jmann@worldpath.net
This discussion has been closed.