Poll; What color should I paint it? (49 Comm 8 Conv Brougham)

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Ok, the time has come. I have to paint the jams, firewall, the area around the decklid etc so I can get on with putting the car back together. I need to make a decision on a color and I cant seem to pull the trigger.

When I purchased the car there was about 1/8" of Maroon paint on it, complete with drips, orange peel and assorted other paint nightmares, including a few hundred pounds of all-metal filler (note to self, don't buy a car again without seeing it in person). The cowl vent and door shells had some of the original blue paint and the stamping on the Pass door hinge (E-18) confirmed that the car was originally "Brigade Blue", a real 40's color to say the least. I am kinda leaning towards going back to it for originality sake and the fact that I have never seen one this color. That being said, I am also considered three other 49 Hudson colors: "Roman Red", "Radiant Red", and "Gull Gray Poly" (G-2). While the reds are attractive for resale purposes, I dont like the way they will contrast with the Maroon leather interior. Was wondering what you all thought. I have a pint of each and will be spraying some sample panels to get a better idea, but here is a rough idea of what they all look like.....

Feed back appreciated!

http://homepage.mac.com/nycdc/Hudson_colors/PhotoAlbum20.html

1> Brigade Blue Poly (E-18)

2> Roman Red (M-19)

3> Radiant Red (RR-16)

4> Gull Gray Poly (G-2)

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Dennis - the links don't work

"Use from this location denied. Referrer is ..."
  • Try it now.....................
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    paint it the original color...jmho
  • I vote for the gull gray. It really shows off the red leather interior...my 2 cents worth.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    How about gull gray with radiant red side trim?
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Like naming a baby, whatever you want, it is yours, why worry about anyone else!
  • rambos_ride
    I just pulled out my 49 paint chip book and that Brigade Blue is...well...uhmm...

I'm usually one to say keep it original (especially since I know how much work you're putting into her) but "Red on Red" is not so bad. I think the Roman Red might look good - but I don't have a sample of the interior to see :)

I know these weren't on your list... black on red looks good (I didn't see a black paint chip on my pages - maybe black wasn't a color choice in 49?) in keeping with that the 6761-G Brazillian Blue (dk blue metallic) on red might look nice.

If I were going to sell it I would go "ReSale Red" - otherwise pick the nicest color you want so you are happy to see the car everytime you open the garage door!
  • hdsn49
    hdsn49 Senior Contributor
    Dennis,

My Brougham was originally black. I did not want a black car (too hard to take care of). To be quite frank I don't think that most of the 48-49 colors are that attractive, but I wanted to go with Hudson colors. After extensive thought I decided to go with the gull gray / quebec gray two tone. Now that the car is finally finished I can't tell you how many compliments I am getting about the colors. With the red wheels and the grays it looks great.

I have been told that Hudson also did some custom colors. About 10 yeas ago I met a gentlemen from Scottdale Az that was restoring a Commodore 8 convertable. He painted the car yellow with a black top. The car sold last year at the Barret-Jackson auction for I believe $86,000.

Good luck with your choice. Choose a color that you will be happy with.
  • LI have 8 converts and vote for either RED, BILL ALBRIGHT
  • rambos_ride
    Here are some sample pics of the yellow one mentioned in one post and a red on red example

Yellow 48 Sold For 86,400 USD

2004BJCCA2_428_34.jpg

2004BJCCA2_428_int.jpg

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=175248

Red 54 Sold For 82,080 USD

2004BJCCA2_651_1_int.jpg

2004BJCCA2_651_1_34.jpg

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=175868
  • Just "DON"T paint it 2000, Ford, Chestnut Metallic! That's what "MINE" will be! (ha)
  • I'd say the radiant red that would be my choice, but its your car so do what every you feel like!!!
  • Dennis, a friend of mine has a 49 convert with red/maroon interior. He painted it Champagne with a black top and it is gorgeous. Main thing is...Please Yourself...Too many people try to make others happy, then wind up second guessing themselves.

With the effort you are putting into this car, I'm sure it will look great no matter what you choose.(Trust your own instincts)

BJ--TN
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    This is a red/maroon very close to the original. A couple of late 80s Chrysler colors. Numbers on request to hetcramergm@frontiernet.net. Drop the leading het.

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/unclejoshshudsons.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2653
This discussion has been closed.