Jet Brakes.

Geoff
Geoff Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a spare set of brake shoes for my Jet, with different length linings bonded on the shoes. One shoe has about 1/3 less than the other. There appear to be two schools of thought - one that the short lining should go on the front shoe to give equal braking effort to each shoe, and the other that the short lining should go on the rear shoe to give equalised wear, the thought being that as the front shoe is doing most of the braking, the rear shoe will wear that the same rate if it is of smaller area. There is no reference in the workshop manual to different length linings. who is right? At the moment the car has rivetted linings of equal length on each shoe, but they need replacing shortly. The wear appears about equal on leading and trailing shoes. I am tempted to take the short lining shoes back and get them re-lined with full length linings. Your thoughts please!

Geoff.

Comments

• General rule of thumb was the short shoe to the rear. I'd have them relined equal length anyway.
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    General rule of thumb was the short shoe to the rear. I'd have them relined equal length anyway.

Same here Geoff, leading shoe always the longest.
  • Hi Geoff,---Long time-no see. Hope you & yours are doing O.K.? The long shoe always goes to the back as it takes the forward motion of the car's inertia in bringing it to a stop, even though the hydraulic pressure is the same on both shoes. Looking forward to seeing you again sometime in the future. Hudsonly,---Cliff Minard.
This discussion has been closed.