Here's one ta make ya cringe!

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    CRINGE! GNASH!

He scrapped the best part of it. Like a lot of people, he doesn't know a Hudson part from a Packard.

Reminds me of the monkey that got thrown in the trunk with a corked-up diahretic pig, and got t'monkeying with something he didn't understand.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Reminds me of the Boyd Coddington tv show a couple of weeks ago where they took a real nice '59 Chevy and cut the roof off. Sigh, some people shouldn't be allowed near welders, saws and/or old cars. I see that the seller does want to hear comments on how "cool" his cars are. Hope he doesn't find these Forums. He may be "cooly" disappointed.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    1 - The guy who buys that ebay listing is going to have big problems. Cutting the top of a Monobilt (unibody) car without proper re-inforcement (obviously not done) is asking for trouble - and what if the 'frame' rails are weak and rusty?

2 - Boyd Coddington is a joke! The only reason he buys these cars and cuts them up is to save his shop time and money. For him that is all it's about - his hot-rod building career is petering out so its time to stick it to his customers and produce c#@p work and charge for his 'celebrity' status.
  • Club Coupe
    edited November 2013
    Grumpy wrote:
    Saw that show... He paid $25,000 for that car (about $8K too much), and then chopped it to bits...

He's done the same thing (butchered) to at least a half-dozen WELL MAINTAINED antique vehicles on his show, over the last couple of years. His arrogance during this process is mind-numbing, to say the least. From what I have seen in the shows, he doesn't like anyone to have an alternate view or opinion, and he doesn't listen to anyone. He must think he 'poops' pearls of wisdom...

Yeah, I saw that part of the show. He lost the coin flip, etc. I don't believe too much of what I see on these "reality tv" programs. I know for a fact that a whole lot of what eventually hits the air has been set up, rehearsed and edited all in the name of "good tv". I try not to watch too much of any of it. I'll take "Automania" over Boyd, Pimp My Ride, Trucks, and the rest any day. At least Bill Goldberg is a car nut, the rest I wonder about. Off of my soapbox for now.
  • He didn't scrap the best parts, I bought the 308 and Hydro on EBay for $28.50...engine was frozen and the transmission had water in it that froze literally breaking the case. I had posted an identification question on the forum quite some time ago. It's a 1956 308 replacement engine with the 262 head and 1/2 head bolts.

I saved some of it anyway...
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Boyd recently had a problem with the state of California - something about bogus registrations. CA registry was leaning on him because they couldn't establish a 'true' year for the cars he was butchering.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Club Coupe
    edited November 2013
    Grumpy wrote:
    Yea, I had heard a bit about that... Seems that some of his 'made scratch' cars (without an ounce of 'classic' vehicles within them) were being registered as historic vehicles. There was also some problems with the establishment of a legitimate 'value', for registration & taxes...

So can we expect Boyd's legal and tax problems to become part of his reality show? If so, I have a great idea for the announcer's script. "Will Boyd and the crew made the deadline to report to their probation officer?"
  • Does anyone know to whom the black 48 or 49 Commodore 4 door sedan with the new factory 8 cylinder engine was sold to at the late Bill Small auction in York, Pa. back in 2003? Sorry now that I did not buy that car. Cliff Minard.
  • 54Hollywood
    54Hollywood Senior Contributor
    As the owner of a Hollywood, it saddens me to see one of these rare and fine looking models butchered. But step back for a moment from what Mr. Hacksaw did to what American Motors could have done by making a Hudson convertible in '55, '56 & '57. You can see how much lower the car becomes. You can envision how much sportier it becomes and you can imagine the enjoyment of owning and driving one. I know the capital wasn't there to do it and you can say what you want about AMC built Hudson styling, but a convertible would've looked terrific.

Tim in Wisconsin
  • Styling is looking better than stock.......True, it may break in two if the frame has not been strengthened, but just pure style, I kinda like it.

Bob
  • I saw the car when I picked up the motor and trans from him. He's done decent work but hasn't any concept of the strength the roof added to the car. It could be made into something decent, he's gotten a good start on the styling mods which takes a little bit of the Nash out of it. If he doesn't sell it on EBay, I might offer him $100 to see what I can make of it. :eek:

OK, I'm a glutton for punishment... :rolleyes: The wife says ok, she wants a welding lesson anyway. Those rear tail lamp pods have got to go though. The look a bit silly without the roof for balance. Any ideas???

As most of you know, I've got a lot of real world metal fabrication experience and this type of project is no real big deal to do safely. I've got a Jag V12 here at the house...what do you think??? :D
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    This ones beyond restoration/parts anyway, I say do the right mods to strengthen and make it road worthy and slap that V-12 in there!

Shave the quarters down to near the trunk line like the 48-49. the 48 tailights might look nice.

Whooohaaa!
  • Maybe a Jag leather interior, to boot??? I agree with Rambo's idea on the taillights, cool!!
  • We gotta keep it light sometimes. If I get it, I agree with rambos ride this thing is far beyond restorable or parts. Maybe a little fun is to be had...

I was thinking of shaving the lights back about 2" vertically which would put them about 2" from the trailing edge of the fender and then tunnelling '59 Cad lights into them... It's scary, I get too many ideas :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.