1953 Hudson Pickup Forsale.... yes, 1953

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Check out this "1953 Hudson Pickup"

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/5/5/75560855.htmorsale on collectorcartrader.com

Comments

• I e-mailed the dealer and asked if they had any documentation on this. He responded saying that they were waiting on it and would forward it. Seems to me that if they bought this car as represented that they would have necessitated documentation aswell. One would think that they should atleast be able to tell you the name of the Magazine and the month and year that the magazine article came out. Also, a simple magazine article does not mean squat. A magazine article can quote anyone. Doesn't sound too legit to me... show me the proof.
  • I have dealt with that dealer before. BEWARE!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Nothing in the design of prior Hudson Trucks had a "Flat-Chopped" rear cab section. I believe They would have rounded the Cab to go with the body lines of the car if this were a prototype.

My vote is a custom trying to be pawned off as original
  • The Hood Ornament Looks Like A "53", But The Grill Doesn't
  • Plus, look at the goofy trailer taillights. The big, flat back window is a later styling idea from the Big Three, and in the early '60s, to boot. Same with that style of step bumper. That is from the late '50s onward. Definitely a made truck, nothing factory. If it were factory, doesn't this seller think there would be definitive documentation from someone, if not the person he got it/consigned it from? :(

A neat truck, definitely. Would I buy it? Yes. For about 1/2 (or less!) of what he's asking for this "factory" piece. :p

Amazing, huh?

Also, look at the 1966 Dodge Coronet 500 convertible, supposedly a factory HEMI car, but it's missing two extremely important (and obvious) details unique to a '66 HEMI car, regardless of body style. Methinks this vendor is less than a straight-up guy, hmmmm? :eek:
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    To me the grill looks like the center bars are from a 51 or 52. I agree with everybody that this is not a factory prototype. It seems to me that if the factory had built such a prototype that somewhere in all the WTNs, various collector car magazines and Hudson books that this would have been mentioned. That being said; is it possible that the factory rigged up this truck to haul materials or parts around the grounds? For some reason I think that somewhere I heard or read that there was a stepdown truck used at the factory to run errands, but I can't recall where I got that idea from.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Club Coupe wrote:
    To me the grill looks like the center bars are from a 51 or 52. I agree with everybody that this is not a factory prototype. It seems to me that if the factory had built such a prototype that somewhere in all the WTNs, various collector car magazines and Hudson books that this would have been mentioned. That being said; is it possible that the factory rigged up this truck to haul materials or parts around the grounds? For some reason I think that somewhere I heard or read that there was a stepdown truck used at the factory to run errands, but I can't recall where I got that idea from.

That was stated in either Langworth's book or Butler's book but he was refering to '46-'47 PU that was used to run errands and pickup parts for the factory. Many dealers also kept such PU's on hand for the same purpose.

As far as step-down PU's I believe the one protoype was an earlier model step-down
  • I e-mailed the dealer back and told him that I felt things are suspect. Either produce the documentation or buyer beware. I'm not interested in the vehicle but if he is a crook then he / they need to be held accountable. He can validate his claims or here in California, he can lose his license.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    That was stated in either Langworth's book or Butler's book but he was refering to '46-'47 PU that was used to run errands and pickup parts for the factory. Many dealers also kept such PU's on hand for the same purpose.

As far as step-down PU's I believe the one protoype was an earlier model step-down

On page 282 of Don Butler's book there is a sketch of a 1948 Stepdown pickup. The accompanying text states that "a prototype cab pickup wirh a 1949 serial number was reportedly built in 1948". I guess that I had the '46-'47 pickup confused with the 1948 sketch. The Langworth book has a couple of neat photo of dealer trucks and goes into the factory trucks running errands to get bolts during the post WWII steel shortage. Too many books and too many trucks for my feeble memory. At least I'm not completely looney. Thanks Aaron!
  • On EBay abouth 6 months ago there was another stepdown truck. That one, although extremely rusty was a better looking rig, even with the 55 grille. I think that I had seen a photo of the EBay truck in the mid-late 50's at a car lot so there were definitely dealer made vehicles.
  • Fellas...

There is indeed a surviving Hudson Stepdown prototype truck.. owned by
    Charles Ravolo of St. Clair Shores, he purchased it in 1961. It is reported to be one of three built...do not know the truth of that claim... but do know this truck exists.
    There are several Hudson Stepdown pickups that were special built by Hudson dealers for shop use... A friend has a very nice 51 super six. Others appear at local, regional and national meets. Twenty years ago a fellow stopped me as I was getting into my 48 S 8 and he informed me there was a Hudson pickup on his farm in the barn. Sure enough ... another 51, this one a Hornet coupe ... not so well engineered, but definitely a pickup.

huds5201.JPG48hudson.jpg

Go to Google Search and type in "Hudson Truck" or "Hudson Pickup" and select images ... you will be served up many different pictures of Hudson trucks ... some non factory ... nevertheless, well done, if only they made one replicas. The truck that started this thread ... is NOT a Hudson prototype ... albeit someone's example of what a 53 super wasp pickup might have been.

Good Luck to all you HET truck finders....

How about another 34 like Press Kales? That's an art-deco piece!

Cheers from the Heart of Texas
  • I USED TO OWN THIS HOMEMADE 52WASSP PICKUP SOLD IT TO GLEN JOHNSON IN UTAH, HE SOLD IT TO A GUY IN NEW YORK, THEN WENT TO WISCONSON, siT RAN ok WHEN i HAD IT, HAD A 262, RATTLED A LOT, BILL ALBRIGHT
This discussion has been closed.