6V electric fuel pump

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
After reading an article in a Studebaker newsletter about an Airtex 6V compact solenoid type fuel pump, I checked one out but discovered it would not operate on 6V positive ground. My bellows type I used for priming and backup in case of vapor lock failed and I really would rather acquire a small compact solid state type to mount in the confined area above the axle. Anyone have any knowledge of the Facet/Purolator type pumps? I saw "somewhere" a PS60V or something like that for use on Studebakers, but can find no additional information.

Comments

• Are you sure the pump you mention will not work with a negative ground? If all else fails, you could mount the pump on an insulator, and connect it to the fuel tank with non-conductive hose. Then connect the "ground" terminal of the pump to your positive lead and connect the "hot" terminal of the pump to ground. This is just an idea, and I admit it's a lot of work. Is there anything helpful listed in Hemmings?
  • available at most parts stores. Electric fuel pump numbers Borg Warner #EP11 for 6 volt and EP12B for 12 volt
  • The pump will work - ground, but not positive ground.
  • Borg Warner electric?
  • OK, I see the update. I am trying to check as well on a Borg Warner A 9349 6V 3-4 psi output I saw on a Ford site.
  • i HAVE A SMALL eLECTRIC FUEL PUMP THAT was on my 49 Hudson.
    It still works well ..If you are interested let me know ...They run about $45 New and I'll take $30 for this one...

TOMBAR46@MSN.COM
  • email on the way Tom.
  • That's funny, I just mounted an EP11, grounded the + to the frame and connected the hot wire. Works great! Carquest - $53.23.
  • Good to here that, Cloyd. I might run up to CarQuest and get the one they have and give it a try. I just believe the two I got were faulty....no instructions in the box, the little red dust cap didn't fit......something peculiar. That's what I did on both pumps, tan wire to frame, black wire to hot side of ignition. Worked opposite just fine but not this way. $53 not a bad price for it.
  • OK, I procured one of the pumps from CQ today for $53.22 and verified it does "run" on positive ground. However, it will be tomorrow evening before I verify it pumps. Does your pump ok? The instructions (#8) state ".....recheck polarity (#6 & #7 state standard positive feed and negative ground) as an improperly wired pump will run, but will not pump.
  • Yes it pumps great! I thought I was getting too much pressure but was not the case. I got defective needle and seats in the carb kits.
  • OK, good to here. I'll check mine out tonight. Who knows what sometimes vague instructions in a box mean....
  • Checked the pump out this afternoon and it pumped a good stream with positive ground setup. In fact, will probably installa pressure regulator in the line.
This discussion has been closed.