Paint Code For a '48 Commodore- RM?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Howdy,

1. Is the paint code stamped on the passenger door hinge for a '48 Commodore Sedan? If so, mine looks as if it says "RM".What color would this be? The car is two tone Maroon or Burgundy, repainted the original color in 1951. Thanks, Niels

Comments

• I know that RM is the code for Maroon Deep Poly. What I am not sure of is whether or not it is two tone or not. Check the front of the parts book, the codes are all there. Here is the link the 1948 Paint Chips. If it is two tone, the other color is Ruby Red Poly.

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1948-hudson-pg01.jpg
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Many cars were two-toned by the dealers rather than the factory. That may be the case in your situation.
  • That answers my question. thanks!
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    My 49 Commadore was stamped RM (Red/Maroon)

I found some original paint under the chrome and matched it very close at the parts store with Plasticote spray cans CC9085 for the top and CC9080 for the bottom.

Sherwin Williams mix codes are Dark Cordovan Metallic U7-35418-S for the top and Garnet Metallic UV-33904-S for the bottom.

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/unclejoshshudsons.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2653

According to Ken Schulte, Hibernia Restorations will mix the original Hudson colors.
  • Thanks Josh. Niels
  • You also get the original colors from the Autocolor guys in San Diego at the link I provided. Ask for Jimmy Chips. The guy knows his stuff and then some. They have the orginal formulas and cross them over using modern pigments. Good stuff. You can get it in enamal, single or two stage (base/clear) urethanes. Your choice. I like to use single stage on 40's cars....but that is me. Hibernia and Bill Hirsch sell lacquer from what I understand. I would not go that route myself but it is your car. My 2cents for what it is worth.
  • Thanks Dennis. I printed out all this info for when I take the plunge.
This discussion has been closed.