GAS & OIL

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Seeing The Thread About Gas On The "20" Cars, Made Me Think What Is Best For Twin H. Regular Gas Or Premuim? Also Oil, 10w30 Or Just A Straight 30 Or 40 Weight.

Comments

• As long as your compression is below 9, regular 87 octane gas usually is fine. If you experience any 'pinging' move up a grade. This is more prevalent when it's hot outside and the engine temps are up some.

I have used 20w50 for many years with no problems. It just seems to me that 10w can be a little thin for engines originally designed for straight 30w.
  • I use 20W40 in my 54 and have no problems, as for the gas I generally use mid grade but have on occasion, used regular. The only time I use High Octane is if I am going to be in the mountains. or if there is significant pinging.

Bob
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The oil question is of much contention, but in my humble opinion the last thing a vintage engine needs is vintage oil. 30 grade just doesn't give the overall protection of a multi-grade. Use a reputable high quality 20W-50 oil and you will get better performance and protection.

Geoff.
  • Thank You, Just Wondering What Everybody Else Thinks.
This discussion has been closed.