\'49 super 6 U-joints-

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I've got the klunking in the driveline. I'm sure it is the U-joints. Should I replace all of them? Any idea what numbers I need? The parts store just smiles at me. Should I take them off and show them and hope to find the right size? Help! Darrel

Comments

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    HI OK LETS SEE WHAT ALL FITS

1962 TO1972 CHEVY CAMARO, CHEVELLE, CHEVY 2, NOVA EXC TURBO
    1955 TO 1970 CHEVY 1/2 TON 3 SPEED ALL FIT NOW GO ASK THE GUY AT THE PARTS STORE AND SMILE WHEN YOU TELL HIM THEY FIT YOUR HUDSON
    THEN TELL HIM
    OH YEA THEY ALSO FIT
    1964 TO 1968 MUSTANG 6 AND 8 CLY
    1942 TO 1970 FORD TRUCK 1/2 TON 3 SPEED

HUDSONLY
    PAUL
  • I'm still laughing! Thanks so much! Talk about record time! It took only 16 mins. to solve my problem. You made my day! I'm going to wait until tomorrow to buy the u-joints as I want to get the same fellow at the parts counter.

Darrel
  • did you check the rubber mounts in the center of drive shaft? If that is problem they are can be replaced with NAPA Belkamp 3-5090 or NAPA Walker 3-5126 smirk.gif
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Make sure you 'align' the u-joints with each other, just the way they are when they come off. Otherwise, your driveshaft will be out of balance.
  • I went to two seperate NAPA's with those rubber bushing numbers and they were not in the system. Thought I let you know. One number came up as an exhaust piece?
    russ
  • You can go to Ken Cate's restoration page. Click "transmissions", then scroll up just a little, and it will show you a diagram of a solution to your problem, if it's the carrier bearing support that's causing the noise. I used the old rubber cushions until I started rebuilding my car. I since have replaced them with new "urethane" bushings.
This discussion has been closed.