What years fo these Automatic winshield washers go on?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Howdy,

I noticed a NOS Hudson automatic window washer forsale on e-bay. Looks like it is vacuum powered. What year Hudsons would these be appropriate for? Thx. Niels

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Antique-Vintage-HUDSON-Automatic-Windshield-Washer_W0QQitemZ4564545219QQcategoryZ10076QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comments

• This looks like the aftermarket windshield washers (Trico, I think) that my father installed on his Brand Xs, one in the late 1940s, and the other in the early 1950s. The kits included a pushbutton vacuum switch, and jets to run through the cowl.

Buick and others included this washer as standard equipment starting in 1946.

They worked well until the tank froze and broke.

From the description, it looks like it could be installed on any model.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    As a side note. Stepdowns that had factory washers had nozzels mounted in the wiper pedistals. Perhaps dealer add ons did too?

Dave w.
  • GM had the connection thru the wiper pedestals for add-on washers. Take out a screw and screw in the nozzle. I don't remember about other makes.

A PS to above: This unit is bound to be quite old. I wonder about the condition of the diaphragm in the pump, even if it has been on the shelf all its life.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    As an aside, I believe Hudson began offering windshield washers about 1940. I have a 1937 Terraplane, but several years ago I found some NOS 1940 wiper stanchions that were a perfect match -- except that they have a place to attach a washer nozzle. This February I managed to purchase two NOS nozzles.
  • This is interesting. I dont think that is a Trico, but a factory unit, complete with the Hudson logo etc, so it is not going on just any car. My car does not have one, nor does it have nozzles on hte wiper head. BUT, I bought some NOS ones a few years back and they have the nozzles. So my question is, did they offer the washers as an option in '49?
  • I am going to ask some of these questions at Reno this week. I think a beautiful condition washer like this would only add to the resale of a appropriate year Hudson. People love to see quirky old original devices on old cars.

I may bid on it when I return....
This discussion has been closed.