De-ox it

edhamlin
edhamlin Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi,

Just wanted to recommend a product for cleaning and protecting electrical contacts, called "DE-OX IT". I found a set of small spray cans at the local Radio Shack. DE-ox It is a product favored by audiophiles for use with their high-end systems, however, it works great for electrical contacts in old autos, too. I first found it when I was having trouble with the contacts in an autopilot controller in a vintage airplane; it was recommended by the president of the Bellanca-Champion type club.

I've been cleaning up the wires in my '41 survivor car - many under the hood had more electrical tape on them than insulation. Replacing the bad wiring is the first step, but protecting the contacts from further deterioration and corrosion is another big step toward keeping the car running. A quick squirt of the cleaner followed by the lube/protector will do wonders. My car resides in an unheated, dirt-floor garage (aka "pole barn"), so keeping the contacts pristine can be a challenge. (I do have a large tarp on the floor under the car to keep the moisture from coming up from the dirt floor. Also makes it easier to find those small items that I invariably drop).

DE-ox it comes in several packages and sizes. I quickly used up the small cans from R-S and found some large bottles on Amazon.com. I'm sure any good audio supply place would have it. Great stuff!
This discussion has been closed.