Stuck engine

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
It's been awhile since I started a thread on my own. I think I messed up and put this in an older thread. In any event, I'm trying to get input into the more successful methods of getting a stuck engine to release.

Jason

Comments

• This takes a while but it has worked for me.

Pour Kroil down the plug hole and let sit over night, then put a socket with a large breaker bar or ratchet on the crankshaft nose and try to rock it back and forth, then let it set some more and repeat. You can use PB blaster to spray down the plug holes if Kroil is not available. As I said, It takes a while but should free it up if it is not totally beyond repair. If the oil pan is off, you may want to spray the rods and crank throws as well.

Bob
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    If you can get some hot water thru it to warm it up it will help move things.

Also get the valves out of it as they are usually stuck also.

May have to remove the rods from the crank so you can deal with one piston at a time.

Even if you get it 'loose' you should take the pistons out and make sure all the rings are free.

Now that you have it apart this far, might as well check the bearings.

Good luck!
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Had a stuck 38 chevy 6 that had cast iron pistons... Soaked with everything

imaginable, Coke,blaster, kerosene, etc etc. Ended up with the head and pan off

and still NO amount of beating on a block of wood would budge it. Ended up with a

crowbar on the starter ring gear and finally signs of movement, very little but back

and forth for quite a while and we finally got a revolution out of it. Drug it around

with a tractor with the car in third gear and kept spraying it and wiping the crud out.

Cleaned up the head and hand lapped the valves and buttoned it back up.

That was over twenty years ago and its still running today. :D
This discussion has been closed.