Fuel Door

B. Ridle
B. Ridle Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
The two small springs that are used to help open and close the gas filler door on my '50 Commodore have broken. Does anyone have a set of NOS or good used springs they would like to sell? Is anybody reproducing these springs?

Any information on these springs and their proper installation would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Bob

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    KGap PN 251
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    edited November 2013
    Grumpy wrote:
    You might want to contact "Rambos_Ride" (a member of this forum) - He as done some excellent work with a lot of different aspects of fabrication, to include the Torsion Springs you are inquiring about. He has also done a great job of both documenting & sharing his results, and has a webpage he keeps updated & is ALWAYS updating -

http://www.49c8.com/

Rambos_Ride ** Sorry I 'stole' your thunder...

No problem! I think after I made my torsion springs - I got a KGAP catalog and they showed that they sell the torsion springs for the gas filler door. I don't know if the new owners of KGap are still selling these or not - but the only thing I do know is that the springs should be opposite (1 wound left the other wound right)

So far my homemade ones work like a champ - and the exercise of going through making them makes me confident enought to make other torsion springs that I need (49 trunck latches for 1) if I can't buy them new.

There is a pretty detailed page on my website under "Custom How To...Torison Springs" and I can provide some better pics of the tools I made to make the springs. (I should redo that page!)

I probably made about 3 "test " springs before getting the winding down. The hardest part is acutally making the small bends at the end of the wire that hold them into place.

Hope this helps!
  • B. Ridle
    B. Ridle Expert Adviser
    edited November 2013
    To Grumpy, Uncle Josh & Rambo's Ride...thanks for all the great input! The participants in this forum consistently share their knowledge and it's appreciated.

I don't know why I didn't think of looking in my K-Gap catalog. For some reason I only think of door and trunk gaskets when I think of K-Gap, when in fact they carry lots of other Hudson stuff. I'll check with the new owners about availability. Also, I will check out Rambo's website. Thanks again guys!

Bob
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    I have on my tech info web site, http://groups.msn.com/HudsonTechnicalInformation/_whatsnew.msnw

a bulletin on making your own small springs - #52 - How to Make Your Own Small Springs.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
This discussion has been closed.