Brackets for large twin h style oil bath air cleaners.

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Okay, I am at the final stages of my twin h install. It is time to take off the chrome mini air cleaners and put on the bad boys, the super large and heavy oil bath style twin h air cleaners. These are going on a 50 commodore six, does anyone have any ideas as to any kind of bracketing to use to support some of the weight? I was going to fabricate something to simply bolt to the engine that supports the aircleaner at the junction of the oil bath unit and the canister, the round smaller neck area. What would really help is if anyone out there has a picture or two as to how they accomplished this task.

If I cannot figure out the oil bath, the back-up plan is to use a lighter, paper filter variation of the twin h air cleaners, but the effect is not the same.

Comments

• The OEM Hudson Twin H linkage contains the mounting bracket for the rear aircleaner. The front mount is a "Z" shaped metal strap that has a hole in one end and a slot like the linkage mounted bracket in the other end. This bolts to a head bolt on the engine. There are mounting bolts in the bottom of the aircleaners which are adjusted to fit into the slot and tightened to hold the aircleaners in place.TwinHlinkage.jpeg

DCP04854.JPG
  • brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    Hi Kid,

The original brackets have a hole on one end to attach under the head bolts, while the other end has a fork type slot to go under the washer on the bottom of the oil bath air cleaner. You'll see the washer when you unbolt the wingnut from the top.

Oil bath air cleaners were not advised to be used with an oil filter by the factory. You couldnt get the cartridge out without flexing or bending the rear bracket with the rear air cleaner in place. They are pretty substantial, almost bordering on bar stock thickness.
  • Well, this will throw you for a curve, neither of my oil bath aircleaners have any threaded holes on the bottom that would fit to the brackets. (however both of the paper/mesh) filter air cleaners do. I have the front mounting bracket, but am lacking the rear. I think that I still want something to suport more weight than what is currently there, anyway.

To make matters worse, right now, my 50 does not have an oil filter, but will sometime down the road here. I guess this was optional in the early years, but still seems like a good idea, nowadays. I guess if I end up putting an oil filter on, and the oil bath air cleaners, I'll just have to take em off to change the oil, which shouldn't be a big deal, but I guess it is kind of inconvenient.
This discussion has been closed.