Transmission mount for Hudson With 3 spd

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Reviewing the old Backus swaps manual found the following:

48-54 Standard shift mount

Borg Warner 31-2215

Comments

• Ken, That may work or it might be gone by now. The problem with Lew Backus swaps is that a lot of the parts and numbers that were current at the time of the gathering of that info are now obsolete. It worked while new but the problem with part vendors is that numbers are constantly changing. If the certain number of product turns dosen,t happen...poof the part disappears.Or the part goes under a new number not even close to the old one.
  • The part number is good ... but that was not the point of the post... Tom a Hudson owner in Washington wanted the number. Most of the obsolescence in the part numbers is due to the lack of interest on the behalf of counter folks or their inability to access information. NAPA and other full service Parts vendors maintain libraries of parts books at the bigger locations. The Backus book or any dated information is a starting point ... it will provide you a reference when you are looking at an eBay auction of walking a swap meet ... as for using these numbers at your favorite auto parts store ... the counter person will have to be willing to help cross reference your ... starting part number to the new or changed stocking number. Over the years my hobby interest has included the procurement of counter books from auto parts stores ... every 3-4 years vendors purge slow moving parts. The parts books have cross references and interchange numbers which allow the user to >>> Cross the information void<<<< and find acceptable replacements. Again using the starting point. My response is not meant to be argumentative ... it is to reassert that dismissing old part numbers out of hand can and will disallow finding the desired parts.

Happy parts hunting.
  • Ken, I still stick by my statement, It's becomming harder to find some of these interchanges as time goes by. New numbers may or may not work, it depends how Standard, Ecklin, United or GM feel about keeping old numbers alive. Case in point: when Lew Backus indicated the Timken number for the rear axle bearing on Hudson built stepdown rearends the number was 25877T. Ok well and good. In all liklihood they were still around and reasonably priced.at that time. Go to NAPA and find that number today. Good Luck. If you are fortunate enough to find them bring your checkbook-the big one. My point is that while getting the part number is important-and it is-that guarentees nothing. Manufacturers can stop producing that article anytime. The good thing about Hudson engineers is that they bought a lot of off the shelf parts from their vendors. Thusly we can use Ford shoes on our stepdown rearends . Pontiac shoes on our front stepdown drums and Mopar ignition pieces on our electrical systems. Merely having the origional number may or may not work no matter who is behind the NAPA counter.
This discussion has been closed.