46-47 electrical question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello All
I am restoring a 47 Hudson pickup and have a wiring issue. I installed a new wiring harness from YNZ and have a 12 volt system. I have wiried two other stepdown cars with new wiring and 12 volts and never had these issues. Three things are not working properly and I dont know if they are connected in one issue or seperate.
1. The oil light stays on the whole time the engine runs. It is a rebuilt and runs strong. Has a rebuilt pump and has 40+oil pressure at idle. I have use two USED oil pressure switches and the light stays on.

2. The temp gauge does not wotk. Sometimes when the engine is running the needle will move from from right to left. ALthough when the key is on it does not move. I have tried 2 used temp sensors and one new one to no avail. When it does move it goes to the the extreme left side"cold side" and returns to the "hot side once I turn the engine off. Does it matter which side of the temp gauge the sensor is on? A view point from under the dash I have the sensor on the HOT side of the gauge and the wiring for the oil/generator/ignition and wire to the gas gauge to the cold side pole. Could it be a bad gauge?

3. The gas gauge does not work. I have installed a ford gas tank float 6/12volt system (from Dave S. page). Even with 5 gallons into the tank it doesn't move. Now if I ground the gas tank sensor (which there is a ground switch on this new ford float)The gauge moves to the extreme full mark. I bent the float identical to the original.

All connected or each seperate issues? I have check and reviewed my wiring diragram to the original from the book and YNZ diagram 3-4 times. I beilieve I have it wired properly, everything else works great.
Any ideas?
thanks
russ m.

Comments

• Did you remember that originally the 6V Battery was Positive Ground? If your 12V is Negative ground, that may explain things reading backwards.

What engine do you have? The original was a 212 3x5 Splasher. If you have 40 # pressure on that thing something is plugged. Assuming you have a 262 or 308, that kind of pressure should switch your oil sender off as it's a normally ON switch. (On when you turn the ignition on and OFF when the pressure comes up) Assuming you still have the idiot lights.

Make sure you have a good ground wire on the fuel sender. You can check the wire to the gage by grounding at the sender terminal. You can check operation of the sender
    with a meter from the sender terminal to ground.

Similarly, you can check the operation of the temp sender with a meter.
This discussion has been closed.