HET Needs New Members ~ #2

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
The first thread has a nice overall good vibe going so I'll throw this one out there and see what you think...

Having just read a newspaper article that July 2005 marked the first of the “Baby Boom” generation starting retirement these new retirees will be more technically savvy and demand a more sophisticated online network for people and parts.

So instead of waiting for HET to find enough volunteers to make a significant advancement online - isn't there a 'Paul Allen' type person somewhere in the depths of the HET roster or affiliated?

A business man willing to bank roll or incubate a company or companies solely dedicated to preserving and selling NOS and used parts but perhaps even contracting manufacturing of reproduction parts for Hudson’s just like Brand X? I'm in between programming contracts right now and would gladly become CTO for a modest salary to build the network and coding infrastructure. ;)

Darn it - We should be able to buy reproduction stainless-steel trim kits, new doors, fenders, quarter panels, hoods, frame corners, etc... - Just like the entire brand X guys can RIGHT NOW!

Aftermarket restoration parts wholesaling and retailing is a multi-billion dollar a year business and growing - and for Hudson’s... "We Got Jack Squat! :mad:

If I could just win the lottery…

Comments

• rambos_ride]The first thread has a nice overall good vibe going so I'll throw this one out there and see what you think...

Having just read a newspaper article that July 2005 marked the first of the “Baby Boom” generation starting retirement these new retirees will be more technically savvy and demand a more sophisticated online network for people and parts.

So instead of waiting for HET to find enough volunteers to make a significant advancement online - isn't there a 'Paul Allen' type person somewhere in the depths of the HET roster or affiliated?

A business man willing to bank roll or incubate a company or companies solely dedicated to preserving and selling NOS and used parts but perhaps even contracting manufacturing of reproduction parts for Hudson’s just like Brand X? I'm in between programming contracts right now and would gladly become CTO for a modest salary to build the network and coding infrastructure. wrote:
    frame corners[/I], etc... - Just like the entire brand X guys can RIGHT NOW!

Aftermarket restoration parts wholesaling and retailing is a multi-billion dollar a year business and growing - and for Hudson’s... "We Got Jack Squat! :mad:

If I could just win the lottery…

Most people look for parts for there own car-cars. I for one would like a 29 Hudson drivers fender with a wheel well for a spare tire with all the parts to go with it. We all need or want something but I think there is no way in hell that all parts can or would be made unless a profit was there. So should it be for one and not the other ??? Or the guy with the big bucks ? How many fenders or a what ever do people need or are willing to pay for. Just thinking here, Ron
  • rambos_ride
    If I had the money this is where I would start...

To get things rolling find out the most popular models and then take the ones with the biggest production numbers - common sense might says these should be the cars most available to restore and the place to start. From there you spread out as customer demand dictates.

Admittedly I don't know the economies of scale to produce somethine like a stepdown quarter panel (a very simple panel shape) - but I bet I could sell a couple hundred a year for 250.00 - 500.00 a pop online!

Us techies get very frustrated because as part of our culture we want everything now! Then we see a great Hudson parts company such as KGAP (I have heard nothing but good things about them and they will soon be getting some of my precious money!) with no online presence at all :( .

IMHO I think that if they were to put their catalog online in a simple format with pictures and brief details they could easily double yearly sales - if not now very soon in the future which could allow them to expand into other parts not currently offered. (The nice folks at KGAP are currently the recent NEW owners - so please don't hate me for using you as an example of lagging technolgy...)
  • Howdy

What happened to the other thread???

Billy
  • DJK
    DJK Expert Adviser
    The Hudson club has about 35oo members, they have perhaps 10,000 cars. A wild guess says 65% are Stepdowns. Perhaps half of the 6500 are restorable. Half are already restored. Coupe and sedan fenders are different. The cost of a die to stamp metal fenders of either is simply unimagable.

It costs around 20K to restore a Stepdown, If you supplied rear fenders at even a 1K each, it would only prompt a few hundred restorations over a decade. However your break even cost could be about 70K a pair or 250K. You are correct about not knowing about the non-economies of small scale. Simpler wheelwell patch panels would make more sence.

DJ Kava
  • rambos_ride
    DJK You are right on the steel parts - of course making and selling lower patch panels would provide a valuable service and be cost effective right from the start.

But on the point of what the size of the available marketplace might be for stepdown parts... I seriously doubt the 3500+- HET members own all the remaining stepdown Hudsons worldwide alone - the body style from 48 to what..52 remained relatively unchanged and I've seen documentation that there where 28,687 Series 494 Commodore Custom 8's built in 1949 alone.

As far as I know rust never stops eating once it starts and cars that are driven get in accidents and minor collisions so restoration is not always the end of repairs being performed on a car, nor the need for parts.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    A lot of interesting ideas, and worth considering. However, the simplest, most direct way to enlist membership is to get our Hudsons OUT of the garage and INTO a local mixed-make car show. If you're attended such a show recently and looked for a Hudson (with some few exceptions!), you know what I'm talking about.

Chapters should (as our CBC chapter does) designate attendance at two or three large mixed-make car shows as official chapter functions, and encourage their members to turn out in large numbers. Maybe you could include another activity (assemble for breakfast before the show, or convoy to a diner afterwards for an early-evening get-together) in order to make a 'day' out of it. Approach the show's organizers to see if you can get a non-judged 'Hudson' class started in the show (we've been successful in doing that, and they even allow our 'modifieds' on the field). This allows ALL the Hudsons to park together on the field (there is strength in numbers!) rather than be divided up amongst the different AACA age classes. Bring you WTN's and local newsletters along for people to see, and make sure someone is always standing around to answer bystanders' questions about our cars. Get permission of some members to allow the public to actually sit in some of their cars and poke around under the hood (under supervision, of course). Be people-friendly! Invite those who are interested in knowing more, to stop by your next meet or cookout.

The chapters can stimulate grass-roots recruiting. All the advertising and boasting of the many services which our Club offers to Hudson owners, makes no impression on a twenty-something car nut who's never even heard of a Hudson -- let alone seen one.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    edited November 2013
    Grumpy wrote:
    Some ideas and thoughts –

A vast number of HET Members have literally decades of ‘membership’ experience “under their belts” –

Many of our members have:

- Extensive experience in building, rebuilding, repairing, and maintaining their Hudsons;

- Knowledge of & experience in locating those ‘hard to find’ parts-n-pieces necessary to get their Hudson going & keep it running;

- Know ‘where the ghosts are buried’, i.e., who to contact for information, parts, assistance & advise.

Why not ‘enlist’ this vast and expansive resource, to both increase membership, and assist those ‘new’ to Hudson…

How, one would ask?

Sponsorship: In the reminders for payment of annual dues, ask members to ‘sponsor’ a one-year membership for those new to Hudson.

It could be offered:

- On a recommendation from a current member;

- As result of a ‘known’ purchase of a Hudson by a non-member;

- Etc.

Mentorship: Current members, through their chapters, etc., could volunteer to ‘mentor’ new members, guiding them to "Hudsonism". This guidance and assistance could be both general & technical –

General: Providing: –

- Experienced assistance & guidance on the HET Club;

- Advise on local, regional & national events;

- Etc..

(i.e., make the new members feel comfortable and their presence welcome)

Technical:

- Based on the new member’s Hudson(s)

- Etc.

I really like the sponsorship idea for new memebers. (hey RAMBO I'll sponsor you hahaha) It would allow more expert/veteran members to passs on their expertise and get younger/newer members restoring more Hudson's before the rust into the ground and are gone forever. There are Hudson's out there that are not in HET or their owners don't know HET exists. in 2007 the newest Hudson will be 50 years old so I think all the survivors and surviving parts cars should find good homes soon.

As far as parts production-cataloging or onlyine shopping, it's a safe bet that your market is step-downs from 48-54. The only way to know for sure what the actual numbers are is to get the club registries of cars but they are not consistantly kept or registered to by the car owners. Some of those brand X parts catalogs merely have pooled other parts sources such as NAPA and such and condensed them into one source and they are usually more expensive I have noted. For example you could get everything for a '55-'57 Chevy through one catalog right down the the knobs on the dashboard....you could probably build a whole car from the parts in the catalog but if you did that the finished car would set you back about $1 million dollars. LOL Obviously you'd have to have a restoration project to begin with that only needes a few things. Perhaps reproduction of parts is not as feasible but corraling parts sorces, NOS and parts cars as well as used parts into one catalog source may be more possible.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Regards the "experience" of older members - not to far back there was an idea circulating to come up with a resto handbook, which would, of course, be invaluable to new members.

As I havn't heard much of anything about this idea I have to assume it died of the indifference that seems to pervade most any "new" idea.

Hudsonly.

Alex B
  • Lots of great articles in the old WTN's that I am thinking could just be inserted into a e-book and circlulated plus those of us close to non-Internet users could print it for them. Take for example the article in 10-77 WTN that describes rebuild of Hudson 6 IMHO that should be reprinted every year so the newbies can get their hands on it. 5 of us should volunteer and put that together. Send me the articles and I will do my five chapters then send on to next guy to add stuff. I can handle the engine stuff. Someone can tackle the body and someone the chassis. And if you get the costumes we can put on a show in the barn and someone invite Mickey Rooney.

Ah smell the excitement of another idea going nowhere.............
  • First of all I have been an HET member for 40 years and drove Hudsons almost every day all during the late 60,s thru the early 80,s when I lived in IOWA, and both my sons learned to drive in Hudsons, these were decent original cars, so I have had some experience with these things. My biggest burn is the constant badmouthing of anybody who modifies their car in any way. I have seen lots of little snide/nasty comments on this on this very forum many times. It drives many people away. So cool it. Several months ago I got a letter from a member regarding the Macungie meet and the fact that I should bring my 33 Terp 8 Coupe to the meet, and I could park it with the street rods as mine was not completely original, BULL. Mine is more original than his stepdown. I will not be there
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    YIKES: Offers you a couple of Valium and a peace pipe
  • Jon B wrote:
    A lot of interesting ideas, and worth considering. However, the simplest, most direct way to enlist membership is to get our Hudsons OUT of the garage and INTO a local mixed-make car show. If you're attended such a show recently and looked for a Hudson (with some few exceptions!), you know what I'm talking about.

Chapters should (as our CBC chapter does) designate attendance at two or three large mixed-make car shows as official chapter functions, and encourage their members to turn out in large numbers. Maybe you could include another activity (assemble for breakfast before the show, or convoy to a diner afterwards for an early-evening get-together) in order to make a 'day' out of it. Approach the show's organizers to see if you can get a non-judged 'Hudson' class started in the show (we've been successful in doing that, and they even allow our 'modifieds' on the field). This allows ALL the Hudsons to park together on the field (there is strength in numbers!) rather than be divided up amongst the different AACA age classes. Bring you WTN's and local newsletters along for people to see, and make sure someone is always standing around to answer bystanders' questions about our cars. Get permission of some members to allow the public to actually sit in some of their cars and poke around under the hood (under supervision, of course). Be people-friendly! Invite those who are interested in knowing more, to stop by your next meet or cookout.

The chapters can stimulate grass-roots recruiting. All the advertising and boasting of the many services which our Club offers to Hudson owners, makes no impression on a twenty-something car nut who's never even heard of a Hudson -- let alone seen one.

Jon B is right on the money. This is where we generate REAL interest in Hudsons... those people who already love cars, have a car to sell, trade or buy a Hudson. Niels
  • I sure hope the Hudson Club is around in 20 years. I'm modernizing my '48, so that when my wife and I retire, we can travel the country in the Hudson, instead of a Winnebago. Our "gameplan" will be.....pick a part of the country we want to visit, find a Hudson Meet in that area, leave early enough to check out the sites on the way, enjoy the Hudson Meet, and check out a different route on the way back home. To be able to travel the country, meet new people, and get Hotel discounts.......retirement could be GREAT! Maybe allowing other "ORPHAN" cars to meets might help. Sure 10,20,30 Hudson's would make a good Chapter Meet, but by opening Meets to other makes, you still get the Hudson's out there, but the Meet becomes "bigger", which attracks more people.

I hope not, but it might come down to......."Does the Club die "Pure", or survive "tainted"? ........I'm sure there are good arguments for either way.

I was watching the Learning Channel the other night, and there was a show about the 60's and 70's Muscle Cars. Not only did I enjoy the show, I learned a new word.........."Resto-fying". Seems the trend now, is to buy the "muscle car", make it it look as original as possible, but up-grade it. Modern radio, disc brakes, air-ride suspension, etc. They were saying the "finished" cars(66 Chevelle, 70 Monte Carlo) sell for around $60,000! SOMETIMES.......change is good!

Rambo said it right, on another post.....to get the "younger" crowd, they want "Technology". Sure, Hudson was the leader of technology, in their time, but what do we do now? I think this Club will "NEED" 3 types of cars, if it is to survive.

1. The totally original Hudson. (Like freezing a moment in time)

2. The Hudson that looks pretty much original.( Resto-fyed)

3. The "Pimp My Ride" Hudson. (Not for me, but they sure get attention)

You have to look at a Membership of a Club, just like a product. And you're going to ask yourself." How does this Membership benefit me"? There are "other" Clubs out there wanting your Membership too.
  • HET will let anyone join. The issue would be in the additional content of the magazine. Non-Hudson owners would naturally want articles, coverage, parts, etc on their vehicles. This all would have to be taken into consideration.

Perhaps include the American Motors Coporation "AMC" crowd. We already include 55, 56 and 57's AMC badged Hudsons...

I vote for the new name "The Orphans". Everyone gets a black leather jacket with a membership!
  • hudsontech
    Originality - as applied by some car shows (originals only) NO step-downs could be considered original. Hudson, at some point during the step-down era - and I'm not exactly sure what year(s) - installed spark plugs with HUDSON on them. Hey, we're talking originality here. Ridiculous - not as ridiculous as some of the comments on this forum by people who should know better.

Let's look at the #1 rule of car resto - it applies to everything from Bantam to Willys to anything you care to name - that is "IT'S YOUR CAR, YOU SPENT YOUR MONEY, DO AS YOU WILL"!!! Because rule #1 leads directly to rule #2 - IF YOU DIDN'T DO SOMETHING WITH IT, IT WOULD BE PROBABLY BE RAZOR BLADES MADE IN JAPAN OR REFRIGERATORS MADE IN CHINA!!!!!

The only thing I ask of those who wish to modify - do it in such a way that at some later date it can be restored back to original, preferably with a minimum of fuss and feathers.

In the meantime, if you choose to modify, don't get your feathers in an uproar when somebody makes a coment about it. If you ain't got the hide to go with the modification, park your car in the back of your garage and cover it with a tarp. Because if a car show wants you to park with street rods because you added AC or a different drive train, fine - park with the street rods and be prepared to have them crawling all over you car asking questions. If you don't bring it out, you loose!!! I personally am getting a bit sick and tired of those who modify and then whine and cry because somebody doesn't get all excited by your car. Fact of life - not everybody likes the same thing. The ones that make the negative comments, brother, is in a very small minority!!! Brings up rule #3 - BRING IT, SHOW IT, AND THEY WILL COME!!" If you don't bring it to shows, the club can't grow because people can't see it and get curious about Hudsons. :)

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Unfortunately, we have no 'say' over the policies of another club's car meets which we attend. We are their guests. For example, many if not most AACA meets have longstanding prohibitions agains showing streetrods or heavily modified cars. Are we then to boycott them because our 'modifieds' aren't allowed? Then, the general public would see NO Hudsons.
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    Just returned from another ALL COMMERS car meet that had everything imaginable there...from a 1915 Ford to the brand new Honda Street racer....

When I arrived I mentioned that I wasn't there to enter any of the competition I was just there to display my car and meet some Other Car nutz...I don't give a damn where I park altho I do prefer the shade......

Funny everyone seemed to get along just fine.....Besides myself with my 54 wasp the Only other semi Original car was a 1950 Studebaker....Guess what? I was inundated by people looking at my car, not suprising at all since this is the typical response I get.

BUT...Not one person under 40 even bothered to take a glance...I think we may be beating a dead horse folks...The younger set has NO INTEREST in a car that is over 20 years old...57 Chevys...young guys walked past em, 56 T Bird...Bah Humbug...

You name it they were simply NOT interested.....

These mixed meets are not even drawing much of a crowd of 20 and 30 year old's...

It's mostly older people mid 40's and above....

I'm beginning to become a bit of a pessimist, but I just do NOT see our Hudsons ever

generating the interest that they currently have..We may have reached our Peak and as the membership grows older the interest may be on a stedy decline...

I'll continue to attend as many shows as I can..I will park anyplace they ask me to park and I will enjoy the company of those who stop by to say hello and shoot the breeze, but yah can't recruit NEW BLOOD if that new blood simply is NOT interested
  • Hello gentlemen,

I am 36 years old and have owned my 53 Hudson Super Wasp for 10 years now. It is finally going to the body and paint shop this week. I agree with the fact that something needs to be done, however, change is the one thing that is resisted more than anything else.

Part of the "problem" that I've encountered is the mindset of most of the older members in the club. They have nothing but disdain for anyone that modifies their Hudson automobile, no matter how necessary. Case in point.... I have a 74-78 Dodge truck radiator in my 53 so that I can continue to drive it. The first time I brought the car to a local meet, I got several interesting comments which were quite disheartening.

Most of the local members knew of the car at least 20 years before I bought it, but were unimpressed that it was finally out of it's dingy cocoon and driving on the road again. Instead of offering help, and believe me I asked, I was continually questioned about my intentions of what I was going to do with the car.

What I'm trying to get at is that we all know stepdowns have a certain look about them. Sort of like a chopped 50-51 Mercury. A perfect starting point for a hotrodder (which I am NOT). If modified Hudsons were allowed instead of frowned upon, I'll bet there would be at least 500 more members in the H-E-T Club. Also, if the club is to expand its membership, youth has to be embraced as the next generation of Hudnuts comes along. Not only the nieces, nephews and grandchildren of current members, but also anyone "off the street" who is interested in these wonderful cars. You mentioned that the last Stepdown Hudson was produced 50 years ago. I'll bet most people my age (36 remember?) don't have any idea what a Hudson is.

This is not a sour grapes article because I still have the car and I am restoring it. I just wish that I could have gotten some help or inspiration from fellow local H-E-T members 10 years ago. What needs to be realized is that the next generation is our replacement and if the club is to survive, they will have to take our places. Young people do NOT have the money or resources to go about a full restoration, or even a serious repair to keep these cars on the road without the knowledge and assistance of those who have already gone down that road. Embrace the youth that show interest in the Hudson automobile, assist them to your fullest capabilities, make friends with them and form relationships that will inspire and last, and you shouldn't have any problems keeping the roster full!
  • Hey Tom,

I hang with a younger set, even more than a few pups under my own age. What I see in their eyes is the same thing that was once in my own - a lust that cannot be requited.

Tom, those folks don't have any money. Neither did I at that age - and I'll bet you didn't either. Its the same thing I've seen in motor collecting: be it tractors, cars, trucks, you name it. There is a generation that has a connection with the era in question - or they don't. With the ones who don't, a connection has to be made somehow.

Why do you think the street rodders are hacking up old cars? Its because they have no connection with the time period in which they were new. There is no connection with the T model, Terraplane 8, or the Packard. What they do have a connection with is the Hot Rod scene and the aforementioned cars are an avenue into it. When I first started collecting tractors, you couldn't find one on the showgrounds with an electric starter, and the old dudes that twisted those cranks were the ones showing them. Same goes for AACA car shows -A models dominated the same timeperiod.

Now, having said that - there is a movement amongst the extremely younger set of up and comers that loathe the small block chevy and the "Boyd" mindset. Go to a "traditional rod show", and you'll be overrun with onlookers, betcha. They don't even allow cars newer than '62 and definatly know the 308's reputation. Pop your hood and show off your Flatty, and you'll be flocked. Hanging with the 40 something+ crowd will get you criticism for not having a Mustang II front end and a small block engine in it or dog you about it not being totally original.

They leave them mostly original because they can't afford the high zootium goodies like GM/Ford crate engines and Heidt's superide suspension. I might as well raise my hand here also. I like Hudson's because they are about as good as it gets when it comes to roddy looks, driveabilty, and definately have the "traditional" performance edge. I'm simply not going to have to modify alot to get what I want. I doubt many Stepdown owners will argue.

So, lets reach out an get 'em! Like I said, lets make the connection and send this marque' into the next millenium with a presence.

Mark Hudson
  • Hi Everyone!

I am a H-E-T Club member and I am restoring a 1953 Super Wasp Club Coupe. I was wondering if you or anyone you know might have the following NOS or good used condition (preferrably not needing plating) parts:

Trunk Lock Housing

Pork Chops

Drivers Side Front Turn Signal Bezel

Grille Chrome

Hood Ornament

Taillight Bezels

Outside Drivers Rearview Mirror

License Plate Light Unit

Rear Bumper Guards

Passenger side TOP OF ROCKER PANEL stainless steel trim (full length from front fender to rear of car)

Driver's side rain gutter stainless trim

Stainless trim that runs below the trunk lid

Stainless trim that runs above rear window

Driver's side painted trim that runs from door to rear of car

Wheel with cap retaining clips 15x7?

Center roof antenna and base

Fender skirt retainers (where the skirt hooks to the body)

ANY AND ALL HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
  • rambos_ride
    Rambo and I just got back from the meet TOM-WA was at - Great meeting you TOM and I love your nearly original 54 Wasp an amazing ride that looks as good going down the road as it does sitting! - and after kicking down a cold MGD I logged on an saw Tom had posted some comments so I'd respond since I was there.

Tom - I have to agree with the shade comment what was it about 90 out in the sun? Thats pretty hot for this old fat boy - Rambo was diving under his front bumper to get some relief!

1) I think they put you in a crummy spot too too close some rather obnoxious imports (running their hydraulics and rap music) - I did see groups of people walking through the show and once they started seeing imports turned around the other direction - missing your nice ride...

2) Plus with the heat - we here in Taxington..er..sorry...Washington State aren't used to too many hot summer days in a row ;) - actually might have dissuaded more people from showing. When I was at the Kirkland Car Show last weekend there were at least 5x as many cars on display and 20x more people - venue has a big part in participation and response...

3) As far as folks under 40 not dropping by - maybe it was myself or Rambo keeping them away :p - if so sorry about that.

There are a couple of things I think the 20-30 croud have going against them to really appreciate an older ride

a) they don't know how to work on cars and getting an older car scares the he#& out of them. Most of this I think is because you simply cannot work on todays cars as simply as you could a 1976-earlier year car (let's blame it all on emmissions!) so they don't learn to work on cars or form a love of cars from a young age.

b) You all think I'm cash poor (I am) but, try being in your 20's or 30's in the Seattle area and paying 800+ rent for a crummy apartment and having any extra income to do anything let alone fix up a car. Most banks will not lend to (let alone a 20-30 year old) 15k to buy a driveable Hudson - but if that person wants a newer import or domestic - financing is there. I was in my mid 30's before I could have the earning power to buy a house and start thinking of getting a hot-rod of some type.

IMO demographically you would want to shoot for the current generation of baby boomers coming into cash and earning power and has some exposure to the older cars from family members.

The 'boomer' generation is weird anyway - my older brother (9 mos 13 days - story for some other post...) has never been into cars and could care less about working on them - I got the bug and have been working on cars all my life...

I'm not giving up yet - I haven't even really got started with my Hudson - but maybe next year there will be 2 Hudsons at the show - yours and mine then we can go from there!
  • I'm sorry Rambo, but for me personally, the arguement that 20-30 year olds are scared shi#less and don't know how to work on older cars is entirely not true.

I rebuilt the entire brake system on my 53HSW, installed a rebuilt fuel pump, rebuilt water pump, the aforementioned Dodge radiator, greased and repacked all wheel bearings, installed rebuilt carburator, ran fuel line and reinstalled boiled and sealed gas tank. Plus did some repair wiring and etc. The only reason I was able to do this is BECAUSE the one guy I met in the local club that was willing to give me incentive told me to get a shop manual for the car, immediately.

He is also the one that got me interested in the H-E-T Club. He passed the gas station where my first Hudson was resting and left a note with the station owner for me to contact him. Which I did. And haven't regretted it one minute since. The best part about the H-E-T Club that I tell everyone I meet at shows that asks me about my car is that THESE GUYS WANT TO SEE THESE CARS ON THE ROAD more than they want to turn a buck. The low prices for most of the cars in the White Triangle, and the availability of parts at reasonable prices is why I was able to own and try to restore one of these cars. However, in the last year or so, I've noticed that the WTN Classified section is shrinking. I went back into my WTN collection and 10 years ago, there were about 75% more ads for cars and TRIM parts than there are today.

I wonder why?
  • rambos_ride
    Hudnut53 wrote:
    I'm sorry Rambo, but for me personally, the arguement that 20-30 year olds are scared shi#less and don't know how to work on older cars is entirely not true.

I rebuilt the entire brake system on my 53HSW, installed a rebuilt fuel pump, rebuilt water pump, the aforementioned Dodge radiator, greased and repacked all wheel bearings, installed rebuilt carburator, ran fuel line and reinstalled boiled and sealed gas tank. Plus did some repair wiring and etc. The only reason I was able to do this is BECAUSE the one guy I met in the local club that was willing to give me incentive told me to get a shop manual for the car, immediately.

He is also the one that got me interested in the H-E-T Club. He passed the gas station where my first Hudson was resting and left a note with the station owner for me to contact him. Which I did. And haven't regretted it one minute since. The best part about the H-E-T Club that I tell everyone I meet at shows that asks me about my car is that THESE GUYS WANT TO SEE THESE CARS ON THE ROAD more than they want to turn a buck. The low prices for most of the cars in the White Triangle, and the availability of parts at reasonable prices is why I was able to own and try to restore one of these cars. However, in the last year or so, I've noticed that the WTN Classified section is shrinking. I went back into my WTN collection and 10 years ago, there were about 75% more ads for cars and TRIM parts than there are today.

I wonder why?

Sorry - Didn't mean to lump ALL 20-30 year olds together but you are an exception for your age group and should be commended for learning about and doing your work! But, how many of your 20-30 year old peers own and drive old american iron such as yourself?

You make an excellant point about the mentorship of another member - I do think that is important if you are going to be in a club or if you just want to get someone else interested in older cars - WHOOPS! I mean Hudsons!
  • I realize that I am an exception to the rule. Education and information is where I feel the club is truly lacking. If there were some kind of program where a member or members and their cars were able to go to a local high school, grade school, etc. (maybe by way of having their cars in a homecoming parade) and teach or at least talk to youngsters about the importance of these cars and how great these cars actually are, maybe that could be our saving grace.

BTW, WE all know that NASCAR is a hot topic in the sporting world today. How impressive to a young NASCAR fan might it be to learn about Hudson's "track" record from 51-54???
  • rambos_ride
    Hudnut53 wrote:
    I realize that I am an exception to the rule. Education and information is where I feel the club is truly lacking. If there were some kind of program where a member or members and their cars were able to go to a local high school, grade school, etc. (maybe by way of having their cars in a homecoming parade) and teach or at least talk to youngsters about the importance of these cars and how great these cars actually are, maybe that could be our saving grace.

BTW, WE all know that NASCAR is a hot topic in the sporting world today. How impressive to a young NASCAR fan might it be to learn about Hudson's "track" record from 51-54???

That must have been something in the day to see the Hudsons out kicking butt on the dirt tracks!

What I think would be cool (and at the same time totally un-doable (is that a word?) without reproduction parts of some type be they fiberglass or steel) would be to have a "legends" racing team of Hudsons and people to go to smaller or larger NASCAR events or smaller Circle Tracks (Like we have in Monroe or Spanaway, WA) and actually race the cars for a few laps just as they did back then.

I know for the last 10 or so years at Seafair they have been bringing out the 50's piston unlimited hydros and racing them and it really draws attention. Quarter mile racers always have vintage events to take their cars to - I absolutely agree that hammering on the performance aspects of at least the stepdown racers would help get more interest in Hudsons.

I know I will be taking my 49 4dr to the drag strip when I can drive it just for the fun of it!
  • My two cents: I know for a fact that HET is concerned about their "graying" membership. I sent the Prez (Clinton Webb) an e-mail about 5 months ago and he responded quickly and thoughtfully. I mentioned holding a meet or traveling display a some of the major Nascar races and many of the things mentioned in this thread. I think HET is listening. We just need to "push" and give them a direction and make it happen. I know that this is much easier said than done. However why not simply contact the Nascar museum, tell them we want to promote Nascar heritage and Hudsons, here are a couple original racecars and a few others to display at some of the races....

Regarding different age groups, I think we all get nice comments about or cars. I live in So Cal and get inundated with questions, compliments, thumbs up every single time I drive my car. Mostly older folk (some of the older ladies have really scared me!) but many younger guys and girls have said "cool car" or similar. They don't know what it is but cool is cool. I had a couple English guys ask me just two days ago if my car was chopped. A guy was waiting by my car yesterday afternoon while I was parked at Trader Joe's (a market). He had an old Hudson assembly workers jacket he thought I may want to buy. He was asking $150 bucks. I graciuosly declined and suggested he list it on E-bay. My nine year old has even commented to me " why do people always like the Hudson so much?" I told him because they look cool, they bring back good memories to alot of people, they are different / rare and people appreciate any car that still looks good after almost sixty years. I get the similar comments on a 63 Mercedes Unimog Army truck and a '49 Dodge Coronet that I have... but the Hudson get ten times the comments.

Speaking of which, what a difference between my 49 Dodge and 48 Hudson. The Dodge is very torquey, relatively slow, sits high, looks like a box or your typical "grand pa" car. The Hudson sits low, feels like it rides on air, is quiet, corners great, cruises all day at high speed and looks like it's fast just sitting still.

Anyway- I am going to e-mail Clinton and ask him to read thru this forum. I am sure he will and will be thankful for all the great input and interest in our club and cars. Niels
  • nhp1127 wrote:
    My two cents: I know for a fact that HET is concerned about their "graying" membership. I sent the Prez (Clinton Webb) an e-mail about 5 months ago and he responded quickly and thoughtfully. I mentioned holding a meet or traveling display a some of the major Nascar races and many of the things mentioned in this thread. I think HET is listening. We just need to "push" and give them a direction and make it happen. I know that this is much easier said than done. However why not simply contact the Nascar museum, tell them we want to promote Nascar heritage and Hudsons, here are a couple original racecars and a few others to display at some of the races....

That is a great idea! Perhaps we need to contact Chrysler Daimler and work jointly with them on such a display. They are proud of having the Hudson in their family tree and perhaps a great bit of exposure could be gained. By including the Hudson, that enables them to claim a winning situation from the earliest of circle track beginnings.

Mark Hudson
  • hudsontech
    20-30 year olds and cars!!! Now there's an interesting combination. Let's go back to my era. It's 1952, I'm 15 years old, I just got my drivers license (in Maine) - Hot Diggity - THE OPEN ROAD BECKONS!!!!!!! Then reality steps in, folks.

Cars, 1930's and early 40's were available - for $35, $40, $50. (Dream on!!!) But where is a 15 year old gonna get $50, much less $35. Yeah, lugging golf clubs around the local golf course making $15, $20 a week - and as soon as you walk thru the door Dad has his hand out, you get an allowance and the rest goes into the savings account - for next fall's school clothes.

But we had cars - my experience was a couple buddies and I went over to the local junk yard (how many of those are still around - most went down during Lady Birds "Make America Beautiful" campaign and when developers decided the land was worth more than the cars) and hauled home a late 1930's coupe, if we could find one, that cost us $10, $15 (REALLY!!). Mom and Dad looked at it, don't run, "Isn't that nice - Jr. got himself something to keep himself out of trouble!!"

Ok, we got us a car - don't run, who cares, ain't pretty, we'll fix it. Save up a few more coins, talk dad into letting us borrow his pickup truck and it's off to the junk yard with a couple other great pretenders (somebody gotta ride in the back - today that ought to be good for a hefty fine). Look around the junk yard again - hey, look a here, a 1953 Dodge with one of them small block hemi engines, practically brand new. There goes another $15 and we got an engine. Mom and Dad say, "That's nice, Jr got an engine for his project!!! Doesn't run - that's nice".

Well, to make a boring story shorter it's not to much longer before we got us a 4-speed Dodge (we started this story with a 37 Dodge coupe) truck tranny and clutch which we adapted to the 241 hemi small block - cost of tranny and clutch, about $15, $20. Maybe even cheaper if we did all the humping to get it out and into our truck.

So now we got an engine, drive train, car to put it in and we ain't spent a whole lot over $50 for the whole package. (It's been a loooong hot summer). Got the body all sanded down and primer coated (be a while afore we get the final paint on. Mom and Dad look at it say "Ain't that nice - Jr's project coming along pretty nice. Still doesn't run" (big smile here).

Then comes the day - got a yard full of great pretenders (15 and 16 year olds), got lots of advice, got a battery in the new ride - ready to give it a shot. Get in, turn the key, maybe a few adjustments, and all of a sudden it fires - Mom and Dad have a heart attack!!! No exhaust system, yet, but we got us a running car.

Ok - fast fwd to today and here's the point of this whole dissertation (story to you who don't read dictionary's). Open the hood on todays car, the first question is "There an engine in there somewhere????" Back 50 years ago you could actually WORK on a car. Maybe the garage mechanics union influenced congress and the industry to mandate cars so complicated NOBODY can work on 'em any more. Breaks down, go get a new one - gonna be cheaper.

But that, in a nutshell, is why the younger generation are (1) not car buffs and (2) don't know how to work on cars. 50, 60 years ago we actually got our hands dirty and if we wanted a car, we built a car. Mom and Dad didn't go buy is a car so they wouldn't have to be bothered lugging us all over the place. In fact they were happy to drive Jr and Mary Lou to the movie theater - and bring us back to our respective homes.

I've had a lot to say on these posts, as you will notice. I hope some of it has been constructive and informative. I think those of us who've 'Been there, Done that' need to pass it along to the up and coming.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Alex, Please contact me about that disaster. I can tell you about it .
  • Great post Alex. I like hearing those stories - kinda been there myself in a time where a highly prized muscle car (theses days that is) could be bought for $100 bucks and slung about on the street on the cheap. Hard to imagine how the times have changed in the seemingly few years that have elapsed. But, I was probably in the last generation of young Tennesseans that actually came to school the next morning with greasy fingernails from working on their rides the night before. There was only one kid who got a new vehicle, a Thunderbird turbo coupe, and we looked under the hood and said the same thing "where's the engine?".

But, there is a growing segment of the young population who are seeking out that experiance. And, we need to encourage them - somehow? They may not build a pristine, restored Hudson, its more than likely to fall somewhere in between a rat rod and a resto-rod. They'll do what their pocketbook and personal taste can come up with. The end result is, more Hudsons will be on the road and hopefully more members of the younger set in the club. Taste and preference regarding what and how they treat their cars will change with age and ability - there is your future.

I've pointed no telling how many youngsters to Dale Coopers site, 21st Century Hudson, and for the more adventurous to Uncommon Engineering. Why, so they can keep the 308 (if they lay their hands on a Hudson) in it and know it can be serviced. For the most part, they seem ecstatic that they could and feel confident that parts are out there. The trick here is that they have computers and can check out the validity of what I'm telling them very quickly.

I drive my Wasp alot, and most of the folks stopping me, giving me the thumbs up, or walking across the parking lot to look at it are folks much younger than myself (and I'm not that old - yet). Its not pristine by any stretch of the imagination, the pictures are on the MSN site. Why?, it represents something that is within their reach. They love the simplicity, the body lines, everything right down to the gargantuan steering wheel, and that it is so "approachable" in comparison with street rods that are practicly guarded with a doberman chained to the bumper.

The Wasp, I want to restore because I've made a connection with it and appreciate its timeperiod and technology. The '49, I want to do with it what is personally attractive to me and keep it approachable. It will probably never get a paint job above protective epoxy primer. I want kids to touch it and not be afraid, but always know it is a Hudson from stem to stern - maybe they'll want one and best of all, get one.

Mark Hudson
This discussion has been closed.