Pink Hornet in the movie "Porky's

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
It had been a longtime since I had seen this movie so I went out and rented it last night. I'm sure some of you have seen it before.

It is truly one of the funniest movies I ever seen. It is a comedy set in the late 50's. It is loaded with vintage cars and "Porky's" car is a pink Hornet sedan.

It is rated "R" (for some brief nudity) and can be rented at any Hollywood video or Block buster.

This is a "Classic" comedy that spawned two sequels. It is FUNNY! Niels

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    nhp1127 wrote:
    It had been a longtime since I had seen this movie so I went out and rented it last night. I'm sure some of you have seen it before.

It is truly one of the funniest movies I ever seen. It is a comedy set in the late 50's. It is loaded with vintage cars and "Porky's" car is a pink Hornet sedan.

It is rated "R" (for some brief nudity) and can be rented at any Hollywood video or Block buster.

This is a "Classic" comedy that spawned two sequels. It is FUNNY! Niels

Cool - a classic movie. Since buying my Hudson I've seen quite a few in TV shows like "Quantum Leap" and I'm not sure there may be a Hudson in the newest "Grand Theft Auto"
  • Along the same lines, if you enjoyed Porky's for the high school hijinks, and the general story line, you would love a movie called "Hollywood Knights" as well. Talk about a classic. I think it was filmed right about the same time. It has a bunch of up and coming stars, and some great cars. I don't remember any hudsons, but they did have project x in there, and probably one of the best custom 40 fords of all time.

BTW, same rating, it is rated R, some nudity, and other similar situations such as porky's. not a family movie.
  • rambos_ride
    hudsonkid wrote:
    Along the same lines, if you enjoyed Porky's for the high school hijinks, and the general story line, you would love a movie called "Hollywood Knights" as well. Talk about a classic. I think it was filmed right about the same time. It has a bunch of up and coming stars, and some great cars. I don't remember any hudsons, but they did have project x in there, and probably one of the best custom 40 fords of all time.

BTW, same rating, it is rated R, some nudity, and other similar situations such as porky's. not a family movie.

YES! HK has been one of my favorite car movies since it came out. "Animal-House-On-Cars" is the best I can use to describe it. Set in Hollywood in the 60's the cars and the music alone are worth watching and you see early appearances from now well known actors like Michelle Pfiefer (schwing!), Tony Danza and Robert Wold. It is available on DVD widescreen as well - if you haven't seen it Happy viewing!
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    The movie The Two Jakes has a step down convertible diven by Jack Nickelson, not a bad movie. Don't know the rating.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Anybody remember the Disney movie with the invisible 52 Hudson?? Something to do with some kind of spray stuff that made the car invisible for a short time. I remember one scene where the Hudson, in invisible mode, was stopped at a traffic light and somebody ran in to it. No damage to the Hudson, but the other car didn't do so well.

There were also a couple of Hudsons in one of the Godfather movies - parked at the curb during, as I recall, during a wedding scene - they were outside the church.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • YES! HK has been one of my favorite car movies since it came out. "Animal-House-On-Cars" is the best I can use to describe it. Set in Hollywood in the 60's the cars and the music alone are worth watching and you see early appearances from now well known actors like Michelle Pfiefer (schwing!), Tony Danza and Robert Wold. It is available on DVD widescreen as well - if you haven't seen it Happy viewing!

Halloween 1965...

Fran Drescher was in it as well.

I think the DVD is multiple format, one side is full screen and the other is widescreen, if memory serves right...

what a great movie....

What is really funny, is that you will never hear the song "Volarie", and not be able to refrain from laughing again...
  • rambos_ride
    hudsonkid wrote:
    Halloween 1965...

Fran Drescher was in it as well.

I think the DVD is multiple format, one side is full screen and the other is widescreen, if memory serves right...

what a great movie....

What is really funny, is that you will never hear the song "Volarie", and not be able to refrain from laughing again...

Absolutely! Yes, I forgot about a young Fran Drescher as well!

I had this link to Dave and Mitzi Sollon's Hudson web page which details the movies their collection of Hudsons have been in...

fp_ds.jpg

That's an impressive lineup!

http://home.earthlink.net/~dsollon/public.htm/ourcars.htm
  • Wow... what a great collection and Don and Mitzi's talent to do the restorations. To win some of those big shows you have to do really professional work.
  • rambos_ride
    nhp1127 wrote:
    Wow... what a great collection and Don and Mitzi's talent to do the restorations. To win some of those big shows you have to do really professional work.

That's pretty darn close to my "Dream Car Hudson Line-Up" I'd like to have someday! The only thing I see missing is a 40's Hudson truck!
  • So, the unanswered question is - who in the HET owns the "Porky's" Hudson??? Anyone actually know?
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    I never have heard anything about who owned the Porky's Hudson but I can tell you this much: The movie was filmed in the early 1980s in the Miami, Miami Beach, and Hollywood Florida areas. The Porky's bar exterior and chase scenes (with the Hudson) were filmed at what is now a park. I forget the park's name but it is on 163rd Street just east of Biscayne Boulevard. At the time of the filming Dade County or the State owned the land and it was vacant. The film is actually a Canadian project, so the car could have come from anywhere from South Florida to Canada, or maybe even from California. Most likely there were multiple pink Hudsons used in the film. That is the way it usually works. Diferent cars for diferent shots, angles, stunts, etc.

I am surprised the nobody has mentioned the movie that featured a Hudson the most, "Driving Miss Daisy". Lots of other neat cars there too, but a good portion of the first 1/2 of the film features the Hudson. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Another film featuring a Hornet was made many years ago with a teenage Kurt Russell, called "Now you see him Now you don't", about a geek teenager who invented an invisibility spray. The bad guys drove a red Hudson Hornet which they sprayed with the liquid to make it invisible, which finished up in a swimming pool. Good for a laugh.

Geoff.
  • Another film featuring a Hornet was made many years ago with a teenage Kurt Russell, called "Now you see him Now you don't", about a geek teenager who invented an invisibility spray. The bad guys drove a red Hudson Hornet which they sprayed with the liquid to make it invisible, which finished up in a swimming pool. Good for a laugh.

Geoff.

Here is a "now you see him, now you don't" Hudson. In a few more days it will disintegrate right in front of you!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Packard-HORNET-NO-RESERVE-1946-HUDSON-HORNET-COLLECTORS_W0QQitemZ4567036311QQcategoryZ6389QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
  • rambos_ride
    For 50.00 there might be enough stainless trim to make it worth getting - maybe...
  • Back to the original question - does anyone know where the car actually is??? Yes, I know they probably used a few...come on, guys!!!

The "DMD" car is well-known, and it is in the HET.

A "Packard" Hornet...some people's kids!
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    edited November 2013
    Grumpy wrote:
    The Godfather is a good movie to watch & see nice old cars in... I think the scene you are talking about is in the early part of the movie, just after the end of WWII. The cars are parked outside the Godfather's estate - "Sonny" gets upset about the FBI poking around & takes it out on a photograper - I thought I saw at least a couple of Hudsons parked in those shots, but there shouldn't be any stepdowns in that part of the movie - too early (late 1945 - Early 1946)...

There is also another scene, toward the end of the first Godfather movie, where a child (Michael's nephew?) is being baptized (just before their move to Nevada) - that scene might be the one you are referring to - not sure if there were any Hudsons in those shots though...

I was thinking of the early scene - as you say was late 1940's and there was at least one step-down parked at the curb.
  • tHOSE WERE MY GREY CONVERTS IN THE TWO JAKES, HAD TO HAVE AN IDENTICAL PAIR, USED A 49 COMM 8 AND A 50 PACEMAKER WITH A 49 HOOD AND BLACK EMBLEM, WASTCH CLOSELYCAR HAD A VISOR IN MOST SHOTS, THEN IT SHOWS UP WITHOUT SUN VISOR. HAD A BALL SHOOTING IT, ATE LUNCH WITH JACK NICHOLSON A FEW TIMES, BILL ALBRIGHT, ALSO USED 46 COUPE, 47 PICKUP, BUT THEY FOUND THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR
  • rambos_ride
    bill a wrote:
    tHOSE WERE MY GREY CONVERTS IN THE TWO JAKES, HAD TO HAVE AN IDENTICAL PAIR, USED A 49 COMM 8 AND A 50 PACEMAKER WITH A 49 HOOD AND BLACK EMBLEM, WASTCH CLOSELYCAR HAD A VISOR IN MOST SHOTS, THEN IT SHOWS UP WITHOUT SUN VISOR. HAD A BALL SHOOTING IT, ATE LUNCH WITH JACK NICHOLSON A FEW TIMES, BILL ALBRIGHT, ALSO USED 46 COUPE, 47 PICKUP, BUT THEY FOUND THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR

Someone should get with you and write a book! I love hearing all the Hudson stories and about your knowledge about these wonderful cars.

Thanks Bill - Keep them coming!
This discussion has been closed.