Exhaust replacement questions

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Some of you may remember the pictures I posted of the cracked manifold off my 26 Sedan. I managed to find someone to fix that crack for me (pictures posted of the before and after when I get a chance.)

There are 2 questions I need to get answered before I can put this back together.

First of all, I have to drill out 2 broken studs on the block. Does anyone know how deep these need to be? I couldn't get any of the other studs out to figure it out, so I'm going blind. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, after getting the manifold repaired, I found that there was a channel around the inside of the manifold where the exhaust pipe inserts. Apparently, there is some type of a gasket that is used here for the seal, not a welded or brazed connection as I originally thought. Does anyone know what is used here for seal material, and any potential sources for it? This one has me completely stumped.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Originally they used an asbestos ring here, which the gland nut screwed up to. This is of course not available today, but you can use the material that they use to seal the glass front in wood burning stoves, which is some type of glass fibre. That is if you are going to persevere with the original threaded ring. If you can bring yourself to deviate from original, it is a simple job to weld a two-bolt flange to the end of the manifold and exhaust pipe, and use a conventional exhaust gasket. I regularly do this on cars I work on, as invariably the threaded ring is either broken or the threads damaged, likewise the threads inside the manifold. I use a nickle-iron electrode and arc-weld the flange on, but it can probably be done easier by Mig-welding. Good luck,

Geoff.
This discussion has been closed.