step-down titles

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Is there anyone that is into step-down hudson titles?

Comments

• Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Is there anyone that is into step-down hudson titles?

I don't really understand what it is that you're asking. Are you needing a title, collecting old titles, researching your title or what?
  • Some gentleman at the Reno Hudson Nationals had some titles (at least three), plus the ID plates for several stepdown's. The cost, $ 75.oo each.
  • Be verrrry careful with this type of transaction. If you are thinking of affixing an ID plate and utilizing an existing title, it is illegal. Wouldn't want anybody here to get into any trouble.
  • If you need a title, Find a club member, in Georgia, Sell the car to them with a bill of sale, have them register the car and then sell it back to you, with a bill of sale.( Georgia does not grant titles to vehicles over, I think, 15 years old) Take the bill of sale and the registration papers from Georgia to your local courthouse and if the state you live in issues titles to antique vehicles, that should get you a title. Been there! Bought my 54 Coupe from Georgia. Then found out about the title requirements in Tennessee
  • Be sure to check your state regulations before doing this. I know that Nevada and Utah will not accept bills of sale to title a vehicle, even if it has been registered. They require an official state title to transfer ownership. Check before leaping...
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I was just looking through the old paperwork from some cars I had crushed (Oh my!) Many years ago and found a Florida Title for a 53 4D. I know this was a Super Wasp, I drove the car, It was green with a black top,but the cylinders are listed as "8" ! Obviously a mistype.(That would be a rare car indeed.) Also a 49 Commodore 8 4d sedan. Both are Florida Titles in my name. I might consider selling them to someone that collects Titles as historical documents. door pillar plates are available from Kgap if you need one of those..email me dwad1939@earthlink.net.

Dave W. Fl
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    Each state should have an area of a "lost title". For a fee, $300 in IL, they will research the title then re-issue a title if there are not any problems
  • Those so-called "title companies" in GA and AL have been linked to some shady deals involving some high-profile street rods and more. In fact, in the October 2004 edition of Street Rodder magazine, there is a very good, comprehensive article about this very thing. People like Boyd, Foose, and other high-zoot builders have had the FBI, the CA State Patrol, and the California DMV bust into their buildings, stop all work, and confiscate all of the car documentation on everything they've built over the past six or so years. the primary thing was using titles and numbers off cars long gone and putting them on new builds not having anything on them that's off, say, a '32 coupe other than the appearance. And, the CA DMV will no longer accept the paperwork that Broadway Title and others like it offer for proof of ownership. These title companies are often more of a PITA than they're worth. And, at close to $200, I can get a no-title vehicle registered here in OK for about half that and have perfectly legitimate and legal paperwork, to boot.

And, in fact, the CA DMV is after over 5,000 owners of street rods and other classics with the cheesy paperwork that these title companies offer, and being chased for non-payment of preper road taxes and registration. Why? Like was stated above, these new-build street rods having documentation of cars that haven't existed for years and, being a technically "new" car, they did not pay the taxes of a new car. California wants "their" money, plain and simple.
  • I defense of Broadway title, I used them to register my Mercedes Unimog Army Truck. They have a money back guarantee. I forget what state they are in but their state laws allow them to do this. They do alot of import biz and are totally legit from my experience. They advertise in Military Vehicles magazine. I live in CA. If I can do it here, anyone should be able to do it. Niels
  • Laws vary from state to state. Here in KY it is easy to title a title-less car from Minnesota, but it is virtually impossible to title a title-less car from Ohio. Why? Because Ohio won't issue a written letter stating it's DMV records keeping policy; Jerks! I lost a lot of money on a car (Chrysler 300 convertible) because of this.

I've been burned twice but have also had some pleasant surprises with folks going out of their way to help me get title for cars. As far as bogus data plates and VIN, I got burned by that too. So for me, every transaction from then hence takes place at a DMV office with both parties on hand, all the paperwork done before my money is handed over.

Good Luck and hold on to your wallets

Steve
This discussion has been closed.