Is it TOO Red? Please take a look

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
After a long fight in my head, I finally decided on Roman Red. I had purhased a pint and painted a test panel and the rocker extensions. Looked good to me so went back and purchased another gallon from my PPG guy. The other day I got up bright and early to beat the humidity and shoot the firewall, windshield header and front door posts. When I opened the new gallon, it looked a bit more red than the first pint.....but I chaulked that up to the light and the fact that it was 6:00am and I was not quite awake. Anyway, fast forward to my shooting it....everything was ok until I cleaned my gun and stepped back to look at my work. Once again, it looked too darned red. Bottom line is that I have a decision to make. Either go back to the PPG store tomorrow and haggle with them over the difference in the colors, or continue on and paint the rest of the car the color you see in the attached. I really dont feel like sanding this down and shooting it again, but then again I have to l iive with it and I have to admit....it is pretty red. I think I said that already, but that is what everyone says when they look at it. "Yup, it's red" they say. It appears to be a similar color to the cover car on Langworths book, Hudson 1946 - 1957. Anyway, take a look below at the car and then of the shot of the extensions. You may not be able to tell, but they are darker than the body is. I have to go one way or the other tomorrow.

IMG_7790.jpg

IMG_7789.jpg

IMG_7788.jpg

IMG_7762.jpg

Comments

• I think this give you a better idea of what I am talking about.....the other shots were taken outside...these are indoors, with flash.

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7771.jpg
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Looks red to me! It's really hard to make a judgement based on an Internet picture, but I bet it will look great with the chrome added. You know my choice of color..By the way, where is the antenna hole? No radio?...Oh my goodnss I am jealous

Grinnnnn Dave w. Fl
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I do like the rockers better.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Yeah, red it is - still like it tho. Go with it.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • It's going to look TOO red, as long as that's all you're looking at. Like Super Dave said, once you start adding chrome, and the other parts, the red will "tone down". Looks like the same red.....(Holley Red), that I'm painting my motor to go in my '48. You can see, once you start adding stuff, the red doesn't knock you down as hard!
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    I wonder if the body will darken as it drys? Both colors are good, but I prefer the body a slight bit over the rockers. My car is maroon and I feel for you. It is really hard to pick a shade. I finally gave up and let the wife pick. She picked the "perfect color" (her words, not mine) and now says that it has too much "purple in it". I don't see a bit of purple. Moral, don't let a woman pick the color.
  • there is only 2 colors for convertibles Light red and dark red
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Red will darken a little when drying - but that happens pretty quickly (within hours - dependant on humidity, mil thickness...) If your interior is the darker maroon - I think the color on the quarter extensions might look the best.

Darn thing is that paint is somewhat expensive :) - but I have never had a problem getting a paint store to fix something they screwed up and in my opinion one of your paint cans got mixed wrong.

So If you like the quarter extensions take them in with your gallon of paint and see if they can tint it or make you a new gallon.

But - IMHO if at this point you are still not sure about the cowl and windshield surround color - fix it! You'll probably never tear this car down again and will never have another chance to get it right!

The paint is set up enough it would be easy enough to scuff it and re-shoot (its not like you have to redo everything to bare metal again.
  • it is dry. has been for days. but I agree, the car is never going to be apart like this so I am going to redo it.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    it is dry. has been for days. but I agree, the car is never going to be apart like this so I am going to redo it.

Good to hear - I know you must just be "chompin' at the bit" to get her painted with it being sooooo close (I know I would be...) but with just a little more patience - you'll get it just where you want it!

It's been in the upper 80's here in the Pacific Northwest for over 2 weeks (someone call Guiness!) and a convertible Hudson would sure be a fun ride right now...If I weren't 3500 miles away I'd come help you re-sand it and get it on the road!
This discussion has been closed.