lowering the FRONT end of stepdowns

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Is there any one that knows a method of lowering the front end of stepdown Hudsons?

I don't really want to cut the springs and I've never seen any dropped spindles for them.

Comments

• The only way I've seen it done without butchering the springs is to cut the 4 (6?) rivets out of the lower spring plate. Make some spacers by drilling out steel blocks to match the existing holes and put it all back together with some nice grade 8 bolts. This worked real well on the '49 I saw. I plan on doing the same thing on my '54. I don't know how much lower you can make it, but the '49 had 2" spacers and I plan on only doing mine 1". Mike.
  • Horrors, I spent a lot of time replaceing worn out and sagging and melted springs done by calf lowriders, with newly manufactured orig specs coil springs from COIL SPRING SPECIALTIES, iSNT YOUR hUDSON LOW ENOUGH???? BILL ALBRIGHTS VINTAGE COACH
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I wonder if Coil Spring Specialities might be able to make a set with a lower stance?

You can always go with replacing the sub frame with a FatMan setup - the only aftermarket system for stepdown lowering I have seen and it is some big $$ www.fatmanfab.com
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Why????????
  • I have an original Fenton front end lowering kit that works just the way that "lookout!" describes above. It is still in the box with all parts & instructions. I plan on using this kit when I rebuild the front suspension of my Hornet. I think it would be easy to duplicate the spacers & I would be happy to furnish photos, instructions, and dimensions to anyone who is interested.

Tom
  • Eaton Springs out of Detroit has the original specs for all Hudson springs and will make them to any size you want. I have purchased from them several times in the past. Good stuff.

Go here:

http://www.eatonsprings.com/index.html
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Ditto on Eaton Spring, went through two sets of springs on a wierd swap till I was

happy with the stance and ride. Wish all the vendors I dealt with were that

accomodating...

PS Have had nothing but good luck with the Hudson vendors I've dealt with so far.
This discussion has been closed.