Macungie... day in review...

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Okay, got to Macungie on Saturday, after working third shift the night before, got up right after work, with my dad.

Had a great time, walked the flea market, which turned up an oil bath twin H aircleaner, which needs some work, but it was priced accordingly (they seem to be tough to find...) and I got the 50 commodore left and right "glove box" chrome pieces, NOS, for $25, which seemed to be a bargain. Mine are okay, but when you see NOS stuff, sometimes it just says, buy me.

I also made my way thru the Hudson display tent, and looked at all of the cars, which there were some fantastic vehicles on display. I got to say, i especially liked the 54 SW convertible, but hey, who wouldn't.... the 51 hornet convertible was spectacular as well, but I guess I really kind of lean towards 54's... maybe because it seems to be a safe year, and not in competition for parts with my dad (that's why 50 is a good year as well)

Anyway, I did something that I should have done years ago, I signed up for the HET club. Okay, I know, but I always just mooched off my dad's WTN, and just thought that was okay. But now, I am a full fledged member of HET.

We ran thru the rest of the hudsons outside of the tent area, which I would say numbered shy of 100, possibly 80 or so, but perhaps sunday brought out more... It was a good representation of Hudson having mostly stepdowns, but several early models as well. We made it a point to get at least one picture of every hudson there.

I got a chance to shoot the breeze with Paul Schuster, which in my mind is always a enjoyable experience. If you never met Paul, make it a mission, at a hudson show, I think he has got to be one of the friendliest people in the hudson club, and always willing to help. In actuallity, I think that whole group of folks from that pittsburg region is a great bunch, they really seem to help eachother, too bad they're so far away.

I also got a chance to talk to Frank Duhly (I hope I spelled it right...) I bought a lot of parts from Frank over the last couple of years, probably not as much as some folks out there. Frank always seems to have some real nice stuff when he sets up. Always treats me great.

I also talked to bunches of other hudson folks thru the day, everyone was friendly and made the whole day great. I wish I was better with names, got a lot of good advice as well.

My next goal is to meet some of the local PA Dutch folks, I will likely join the local club as well, and sign my dad up. I guess we should since we go to the local meet in carlisle every year, probably got a few of the local folks in my back yard even.

Oh well, it was a fun day nonetheless, except when we blew a tire out in my tahoe. The late day tire change was kind of a damper, but everything went well, and I got it patched today, and only cost around $6.00.

I am still thinking about trying to get my hudson to a local car show this year, it is not going to be carlisle, but perhaps I will yet get it to Strausstown, which isn't a real bad drive, but I got a lot of work to do before it is ready. mainly wiring, tuning up, and stuff like that.

Comments

• Congratulations On Joining H E T . You Will Never Regret It Have Been A Member For About 35 Years. All The Penna People Are Great. I Came From Johnstown, Pa And Know Them All, Bill Albright
  • I am not a big fan of the italia's. I just don't like the styling of them in general. I can really respect the work that goes into restoring one or owning one, but it just isn't my idea of a dream car. I can hardly imagine what it must be like to try and find parts for one, or even attempt fixing an incomplete car.

Ultimately, I look at the italia and the jet as hudson's v-8, perhaps their saving grace. Money that could have been spent more wisely, but maybe a V-8 would have been too late anyway.

I still like the 2 door jets, they, are, in my opinion pretty darn cool, and would be great with a hornet motor.... talk about a sleeper....
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Dick Teeter added some picturesMacungie pictures Check them out
This discussion has been closed.