water pump packing

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I recently bought a 26 Hudson. The water pump packing needs to be replaced. Does anyone know how long it is and where to get it or a kit.

I could also use any repair manuals for it. Thanks for any help you can give me. :confused:

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Dave Kostansek (in Ohio, south of Cleveland) rebuilds Hudson water and fuel pumps. He also owns several very, very old Hudsons so he'd be acquainted with those pumps as well. So even if he doesn't rebuild the older ones he can probably give you some advice. Give him a ring at (440) 293-4079 (before 8 PM EST). (That's pronounced Kah-STAN-zik)
  • Kim,

I have a 26 Hudson built in 25. You should be able to figure out what year it was built based upon the VIN. What I am finding is that some things are different between the 25 and 26, so you will want to make sure that you have the right year.

I purchased a packing set from Geoff in NZ as the result of a post on this forum. I suspect he'll respond once it's daytime over there. It took a couple of weeks, but they did arrive and I suspect they are going to do the trick. I have a couple of other projects ongoing on this, so I haven't installed them yet, but probably will in the next couple of months.

I have found some technical information, so if you are looking for something in particular, let me know. If you PM me your email address, I can send you some documents I have at home when I have a chance.

You can see pictures of my Hudson at the link below at my web site. Good luck with yours.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    The packing is graphite impregnated water pump packing. You can find it at most Antique car parts suppliers.... Try http://www.webmerchants.com/carson/ or www.restorationstuff.com

Make sure the shaft is not pitted. If it is, new packing won't fix the problem.

The packing is a rope like peice. You cut it into strips which will wrap around the shaft. Put enough strips in the pump housing so that the nut will pack it in tightly. Tighten it up fully to pack the packing then loosen it up about 1/2 turn. Start the motor and tighten the nuts till the packing seals. Kepp an eye on it adjusting as necessary.

Hope this helps
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The packing you need must be the correct 5mm thickness, and as Lew said, graphite impregnated. I have seen all sorts of different packings used, and this is the only one that gives any sort of permanent seal. Teflon is useless, and string tends to cut the shaft and wind it's way out the gland nut. I supply a kit of 6 rings and some anti-sieze paste for $25 which covers the cost of the packing and airmail postage. I have found that the anti-sieze helps the packings seal the shaft much better, and these packings will work on even a very worn shaft. Contact me on geoffclark@xtra.co.nz if you want a set.

Geoff.
  • thank you for the information, on 26 hudson water pump packing, how would I pay, can I us a visa # & shipping to Canada I hope is no problem.

kim barton kebarton@mountaincable.net
This discussion has been closed.