Spiral cell batteries

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Has anyone ever used the Optima batteries? I'm thinking about putting on the Kaiser to see if it will start better after it runs awhile.
Jason confused.gif

Comments

• Yes, I've heard good things about them. Only possible problem is that they are so much smaller than the originals, you have to sort of anchor them to the battery tray!
  • I've been using a 6 volt Optima battery for about 4 years now in my '55 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. It's a positive ground system like the stepdowns. I have only good things to say about it's performance! A short explanation about how they're constructed will help to understand why they work so well for vintage car applications:
    Traditional batteries use lead plates suspended in acid. However, the plates are not pure lead, but an alloy of lead, antimony, and other metals. It is these other metals that allow sulphation (irreversible coating of the plates) to occur. When a battery sits idle, sulphation occurs at a greatly increased rate. As the plates develop more of this coating, the battery is less & less able to accept a full charge and finally dies.
    Battery designers can't use pure lead plates in a traditional design because they're too soft, and will bend and touch each other inside the case, shorting out the battery.
    Spiral cell batteries use a pure lead sheet, wound in spiral with a fiberglass mat that absorbs the liquid acid. This allows a much greater resistance to sulphation, and an ability to sit idle for long periods without losing charge. Just the ticket for vintage cars.
    Sorry for the long explanation, but I think it's helpful to know why the spiral cells are worth the extra money.
  • And.... you can buy battery cases which look like original size and style batteries from Antique Battery in Hudson Ohio. Look good and no need to alter anything as Jon suggests
  • I put a 6 V Optma in my '49 Commodore. It internally shorted out and died fast. Do not expect Optma to stand by their waranty. They did not do anything in my case. In fact, the Optma dealers that the Optma factory sent me to see for a replacement declared that the odd looking 6-V job was not an Optma, and that they could not help me. The battery is fine, as long as it lasts. If the battery dies, you are out the bucks.

IMHO you are better off with an classic car battery. These manufacturers stand by their product, AND they support the old car hobby. Stay with your friends!
  • I sell and use a lot of the Optima Bat.s in our rental equipment and we have good luck with them, in fact they are required in some high vibration equipment.Interstate batteries sells and stands behind Optima batteries so if your worried about one going bad be sure to get it from a reputable Interstate battery dearler locally.
  • Bought an Optima 6v. for my '29 Essex because I needed higher cranking amps. Optima has the highest CCA available, that I could find. Now it turns right over and has been very dependable. Suggest you buy from an Interstate battery dealer, they will stand behind their products.
This discussion has been closed.