Looking for my old 49 Conv.

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Every now and then, I post thread to see if my old 49 Com 8 Conv is out there somewhere . The vin number is 49458715. Last known sighting was in Iowa and listed on Ebay. I wrote to the seller, but didn't get any reply. It didn't sell. I think someone was just fishing for a value maybe for insurance purposes.. I have looked through the new roster, but didn't see it. Perhaps i overlooked it. If anyone out there knows of a car that might be "her" let me know. I have some interesting background history on the car that the present owner would find interesting. I know I couldn't afford to buy it back, so I wouldn't even ask!

On the subject of Convertible Broughams. Many years ago, conventional thinking was that in the years 48 and 49, the conv. bro.was offered only in Super 6 and Commodore 8. Not in Super 8 or Commodore 6. Back then I looked at every 48-49 conv.that I could. I never saw an actual exception to this. The ones that were an exception, upon questioning the owner, had been modified. As an example, A '49 Commodore 6 from the Miami area (Owned by Dale and Loretta Shank) started life as a 50 super 6 conv and had extensive rebuilding into a 49 Commodore trimmed with a 308. Has the thinking changed over the years? I guess the question is.. Does anyone have a genuine documented 48 or 49 Convertible Brougham car that is a Super 8 or Commodore 6? I'm looking forward to the replys.

Thanks,

Dave W. Fl

Comments

• hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    From what I can find out, in my digging around, Convertible Broughams, in 1948 and 1949, were offered in Super and Commodore Sixes and Commodore 8's.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • I Own A Genuine 49 Comm 6 Conv With Power Windows And Top, Orig Graining And Leather Interior Bright Red With Tan Top A Hornet 308 With Twin H And Overdrive A Real Cruiser, Bill Albright Have Owned A 48 C6 And Several 49 C6s And 8s
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    One way to track your old car -- and you've possibly pursued this -- would be to contact the person who compiles the registry for 1949's (should be listed in the back pages of the WTN) and ask him if it's registered there and if so, the name of the present owner.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    You may have already tried this, but if not . . . Florida, being a title state, may be able to trace the ownership on their data base through the VIN. If Florida has put the original transfer on their data base it should not be too big of a project. If not, you may end up in Tallahassee and still might come up empty. All of this assumes that you sold it in Florida and the title transferred there. If not, you could check the state that it was sold in and start the same process there, with the same ifs, ands, or buts. I have used this method and sometimes it is really easy and other times it takes an act of congress and you still end up with a goose egg. A friendly title clerk is your best asset for the ease of the task. Good Luck.
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    I think I saved that picture of your 49 Conv. Was it two-tone brown with a red leather interior? If it is, I believe that the car was sold. I will look into it. At our last meeting a couple of us were talking about that car.

Aaron C.

Central Iowa HET Chapter Pres
This discussion has been closed.