Engine paint?

TwinH
TwinH Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Wandering what are your preferences for engine paint(Gold).

If possible maybe a quick rundown on which engines/years were painted what

color. I'm getting ready to drop the Cifford head back on the 308 in my 49 C8

so I'll repaint before install.

Thanks in advance for your comments, Jeff Lynn

Comments

• brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    Hi Jeff,

Engine color for 49 is silver. Any high temp engine paint in silver will do. Gold is for the 51-53's and red for the 54-56's. You might consider gold being the engine is a 308.
  • RG53Hornet
    RG53Hornet Senior Contributor
    So how about Oldsmobile gold engine paint? Is that a close match? What about the red used on the Twin H air cleaners, any modern matches for that? Not to hijack the post, but I was thinking about the engine color lately too. I want to try to disguise the small block Chevy in my ’53 with an old ‘50s air cleaner, try to find some old valve covers that fit over the Chevy covers, couple of Hudson decals or emblems and presto…the V8 Stepdown Hudson never made. Would be real cool to get a low profile dual 4bbl intake for the Chevy and modify a Twin H air cleaner for it. But that’s way out of my budget!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    RG53Hornet wrote:
    So how about Oldsmobile gold engine paint? Is that a close match? What about the red used on the Twin H air cleaners, any modern matches for that? Not to hijack the post, but I was thinking about the engine color lately too. I want to try to disguise the small block Chevy in my ’53 with an old ‘50s air cleaner, try to find some old valve covers that fit over the Chevy covers, couple of Hudson decals or emblems and presto…the V8 Stepdown Hudson never made. Would be real cool to get a low profile dual 4bbl intake for the Chevy and modify a Twin H air cleaner for it. But that’s way out of my budget!

If done well you would have a lot of folks talking...Jeggs has a nicely priced low-rise dual carb Edelbrock setup under 1000.00 complete

fp_dual.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=269490&prmenbr=361

Still spendy but the best price I have seen for a full dual carb setup brand new...

Of course then there is the Barry Grant Demon Six Pack ...2400 and change - might as well get a blower!

Sorry - didn't mean to hi-jack your post! I think if you search the forum on "engine paint" there has been many great responses with paint codes and manufacturers listed.

Your 49 Sounds pretty cool - got any pictures?
  • If you click on Search option, enter => engine paint, it should give you 34 posts, and if you read them all I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for concerning engine paint.

Good luck
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Duplicolor's 500 degree engine paint in the "Universal Gold" color is an excellent match to the original Hornet engine gold. Aluminum color in the same paint line is perfect for the originally silver engines. Don't put it on too heavy ... let the texture of the cast metal show through.
This discussion has been closed.