hudson brake springs....

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Okay, here's a dumb one...

I really need to put the brake springs back on my hudson...

the pedal springs.... the ones's that control the mechanical safety back-up and the one that I think controls the pedal return....

Does anyone have any pictures of the specific location of each spring, and does anyone have the specs on each spring... I need to go to the hardware store and buy replacements, and this has been a real "issue" for some time...

Any help would be appreciated....

especially length when under load, at rest, wire diameter, and perhaps tension rate, would help...

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I have quite a few reference pictures I took of my 49 Ebrake system during teardown.

You need IE browser (sorry non IE users) Goto 49C8.Com then on the left navigate to Picture Galleries -> Restoration -> Chassis and about pages 4-7 there will be several pictures of different views of the manual assemblies before I took it apart.

Hope it helps somewhat...
  • My experience is that you are not going to find the correct springs at the hardware store. You might find something close, but you are going to have to modify it to work and that can be tricky unless you have the right tools. A better bet would be to go to the local parts store and bring the springs with you. You can buy a hardware kit from a modern car that has something close that will work.
  • My experience is that you are not going to find the correct springs at the hardware store. You might find something close, but you are going to have to modify it to work and that can be tricky unless you have the right tools. A better bet would be to go to the local parts store and bring the springs with you. You can buy a hardware kit from a modern car that has something close that will work.

you are aware that I am talking about the basic return spring for the pedal, and the smaller spring that goes to the mechanical back-up right? (not the actual brake hardware springs...) THese springs, If I remember, are pretty basic, and the hardware store I go to has about 200 springs in the size range that I think is right ( that's what I consider a decent selection) I just need to know some basics about the springs that have long since dissappeared from my hudson.
  • I have quite a few reference pictures I took of my 49 Ebrake system during teardown.

You need IE browser (sorry non IE users) Goto 49C8.Com then on the left navigate to Picture Galleries -> Restoration -> Chassis and about pages 4-7 there will be several pictures of different views of the manual assemblies before I took it apart.

Hope it helps somewhat...

ahh... you got the same problem i got.... looks like your springs returned to the earth, as well....

The one is a thin spring, if memorty serves correct....

I cannot remember much of the other....
  • Ahh. I was thrown by the "springs" you were asking for and I have long since cancelled my membership to the physic friends network.There is only one brake pedal return spring and here is a picture of it. As you can see, it is 8" long and 3/4" wide. Now go ot the hardware store.

IMG_7802.jpg
  • I got it all figured out now. Thanks for all of the help!

There is one that is longer than the other two, that mounts to a tab on the floorpan, or like, and that goes to the e-brake set-up, and there is one that mounts digonal, and the last one is the pedal return. I figured them all out, and it seems to be correct now. Brake lights don't stay on, as a matter of fact, brake lights don't even work now..... but that' s another story for another day....
This discussion has been closed.