Outside sun-visor question

RG53Hornet
RG53Hornet Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Anybody have an outside sun-visor on their step-down? Thinking into the future, “IF” I should ever find one and “IF” I had the cash when I did find it, would I want it on my car? I know they look cool as hell on there, but how is the visibility out the front of that already short windshield? Any brands that fit better than others? Also, how do they act at modern freeway speeds of 70mph +? Do they try to remove themselves in the wind or just protest with a lot of wind noise? I had a Fulton (?) visor on my ’47 Chevy a long time ago, but I never drove that car over 45 mph or so.

Thanks!

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Three or four years ago a fellow in my chapter, who had an exterior sunvisor on his '48, decided to 'open her up' to top speed on the Beltway. The visor blew off. Maybe you don't intend to drive at high speeds, and maybe his was not correctly fastened. But be forewarned!

Visibility 'up' is dramatically cut down as well. That is why they make those little prisms that mount on the dashboard: for viewing stoplights when you've got a sunvisor on.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Good Questions! I've planned for sometime to put a visor on my 49 - I have a fiberglass one and a "stock" metal one to choose from. The outer mounts are pretty simple - they clamp to the drip rail. (I believe Ken Cates has a picture on his website of what that mount looks like)

The middle bracket is the one I don't like - it is a 3-4pc setup with a "clamp" that you have to insert under the edges of the front glass around the center pillar and that is what is supposed to hold it to the center. I'm thinking it is a huge potential leak point if that center bracketry is used and it is not easily removed if you want to display the car without the visor.

My plan right now is to look at shoring up either visor with some formed steel rod or tubing that will allow for the center bracket to be left off the car. You wouldn't be able to see it from normal viewing on the outside and it can be done smartly enough to not detract from the looks on the inside viewing out.

Of course this is all my twisted thinking never having driven a car with a visor - nor a Hudson for that matter - mine might take the same path as your friends!
  • My two cents:

1. Visors look cool and add nostaglia.

2. Use the outside and center stock mounts if they are in good condition. They were well designed by engineers. Visors don't fly off unless they are put on incorrectly.

3. Visors do cut down your upper vision but that is why God made traffic viewers for the dash. They also look cool.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Two more cents worth. I use the original steel visor. I agree with nhp1127.I have driven my 49 super six at 70+MPH many times with no ill effects. The center mount goes between the steel divider post and the windshield rubber gasket. Not a chance for a leak.

Dave W. Fl
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    SuperDave wrote:
    Two more cents worth. I use the original steel visor. I agree with nhp1127.I have driven my 49 super six at 70+MPH many times with no ill effects. The center mount goes between the steel divider post and the windshield rubber gasket. Not a chance for a leak.

Dave W. Fl

Do you have to pull the windows to get the center mount in? Just asking - mine are already out...
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Just put almost 200 mi on the Commadore today. Correct metal visor with Amman repro brackets.

Was running 65+ on the NYS thruway with semis passing me. She shakes a little but it's still on there. Hung on over 1000 mi to Pitt last year and to Springfield and back this year. About 4000 mi since I installed it.

There is more wind noise. I have no trouble seeing traffic lights, altho sometimes I have to peek to the corner or rarely out the window.

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/unclejoshshudsons.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2653
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Do you have to pull the windows to get the center mount in? Just asking - mine are already out...

The center clamp is a two piece stainless affair that clamps on the center post and does not require any removal of the glass or seal to install or remove. The outer clamps clamp in the rain gutter and can damage the paint in that area. A traffic light finder is a MUST.

Have Fun, Dave W. Fl
  • I've had them go both ways. Lost one on a 53 Wasp at 100mph + (Ford 460 powered) because the clamp in the center gave up... I'm going to put one on my 52 Hornet though because I like the looks of them.
  • A final comment: Use a high quality Visor, like an old Fulton or even better the original Hudson one. I saw one iat the Reno meet for $250.00 bucks and it was really nice. Check e-bay aswell. I'm sure there are Forum people here that have one or two available. The original Hudson sunvisor also looks the best in my opinion. Niels
  • Wind-tunnel testing in 1950 showed the visors to be good up to about 140 mph.
  • I want to put one on my 47 Pickup. Has anyone bought one from Big Jims (www.bigjims.net) for the truck or sedans. They should be the same for the 46-47 right? Does anyone have an orginal Hudson one for sale? :cool:
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    1948-51 visor in excellent shape with all correct brackets, dent free and primed. $350.00 classifieds
  • dave s wrote:
    1948-51 visor in excellent shape with all correct brackets, dent free and primed. $350.00 classifieds

Not too many of these around anymore. This is a good deal. Check around on e-bay or anywhere else. I'd buy it if I needed one!
This discussion has been closed.