Balancer Tube

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Anyone know where I can get a balancer tube for the Twin H manifold I just picked up?

Thanks

Comments

• good luck... I had to make one, but I had the ends....

Also, from experience, it seems that one might not necessarily bolt directly up. I tried to fit one from a twin H manifold my dad was working on, and it didn't align, as far as the bolt holes go. So, I guess I would throw that out there for you.....

It seems that twin h stuff is getting harder and harder to find.

If it is of any help, I used a piece of electrical conduit, cut to the right length, (each of these seem to vary somewhat...) turned down the ends.... and we silver solder'd it together. I wish I could tell you where to get end pieces. I do know that you might be able to find a damaged one, and use the ends, they don't come off pretty though.

Dale Cooper has the gaskets...

And if it is of any consolation, it seems to be working great...

Oh yeah.... I think by 54 or later, didn't they just block them off anyway, or not even cast them in the manifold? you might be able to just block the openings off, with simple plates.... (looking back now, i think, why didn't I do that?)
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    I should have a good used one you can have for 25.00 including shipping. dave s
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    The later (55-56?) manifolds had the balance tube cast into the manifold. If you try to eliminate the tube it will run rather roughly at low speeds.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Another short comming to not using the tube, is the 50% decrease in vacuum volume vailable to the vacuum wiper or power brake reservoir. As a wise sage once said" Ain't a good thing Martha".

Dave W. Fl
  • Thanks for the info guys and thanks for the offer Dave. I will take you up on that and I have sent you a email with my info.

Thanks again.........
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    I made them out of 3/4 " OD. copper years ago. K or L, and they work fine. Use silver solder to connect to fittings as soft solder will eventually fail. Then it is easy to add a vacuum gauge to the bar.
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    bristol05016.jpg

OK, I'm kinda new at this,but I'm not sure what the balance tube is that

your talking about. Is mine missing in the pic? I've seen pics of intakes with

tubes hooked to the vacuum/fuel pump. The motor runs very smooth as is,

what would I look for to see if it is cast internally? Can somebody educate me

on its function/purpose?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Your manifold is a 55 or later, designed to clear the spring tower on the Nash Body. The equalizer is cast inside. Smooth look! The air filters are 54 or earlier. The 55's had a round tube like portion that attaches to the carb.

Nice looking set up,

Dave W. Fl
  • Thats the item.
This discussion has been closed.