49C8.Com Progress Updates

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello

It's been over a month (yikes!) since I updated the website. A couple of weeks of that was spent fixing the CJ5 for sale and now I'm back on top of trying to get the fabrication done.

http://www.49c8.com

Pictures Added

Home page - current progress

Chassis - Frame Patch Replacments

Trunk - New Panel Fabrication and Gas Lift Shocks

There should be a flood of new stuff coming as I intend to wrap up fabrication sometime next week.

Enjoy!

Comments

• hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Great site Rambo - I like that gas shock installation on the trunk lid hinges. Different.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • rambos_ride
    hudsontech wrote:
    Great site Rambo - I like that gas shock installation on the trunk lid hinges. Different.

Hudsonly,

Alex B

I know a lot of rodders are putting linear acutator kits to have "auto-magic" opening trunks - nahhh not for me!

I have about 45.00 into the lifts and the mounting studs - better than 250.00 for the magic opening system!

My old springs on the trunk hinges wouldn't even hold the lid open without the handles and trim on it - so I thought to fix it up like I did with the Hood and put the gas lifts on it. Now if one ever goes out I can very simply go to any parts store and get a replacment.

I could have opted to just augment the original springs with 1 gas lift shock - but I thought If I was going to do it - take the old orignals off and make it lift only with the shocks.

I still have to cleanup the mounts and hinges - I'm going to put the original 'covers' back on the sides (I had to cut them out of the way) - but I'm not someone who's shy in putting their raw work out there for the world to see!

Thanks for the encouragement Alex!
  • rambos_ride
    Well it's sometime next week and all I have to show for my efforts is the new trunk pan roughly welded in!

It took me a while to get the new panels to fit because when you roll the beads in the sheet metal with the 88.00 hand bead roller I have (and do it by yourself) it wants to strech the edges around the outside of the pattern (oh wouldn't it be nice to have a 2500.00+ pneumatic bead roller - maybe someday...)

TrunkRepair_3med.jpg

Because I had to make 4 seperate pieces (the cheapo bead roller only has an 18" throat) I had to make a framework beneath the middle section. The framework will serve a dual purpose to allow hanging of a fuel cell - or - maybe I might mount the spare tire down there and mount the fuel cell on the rear shelf of the trunk - I still have to think that one through a bit...

You will also notice I "lost" about 3/4" on the height of rear portion of the pan just before the 'shelf' in the trunk. I did this on purpose so that if water does get in it has no chance of sitting in the pocket.

TrunkRepair_8med.jpg

There's more pictures of the steps of fabrication on the website Picture Galleries -> Restoration -> Trunk

Still - it's not perfect and it isn't the original patterns on the bead rolling but I think I went above and beyond to make something look decent that is going to be covered with a mat or carpeting!

TrunkRepair_1med.jpg
  • rambos_ride
    A great site!!

A lot of details explained. It has to be seen with pacience (not like me...jeje. I´ll give my pacience to this great site)

Thanks for the compliments on the site!

Right now there is something on the order of 310 megabytes of pictures so far.

I'm estimating when the 49 is road worthy alone that there will be somewhere between 1.5-2 gigabytes of pictures when it's done!

That should be a real nice legacy to send off with the car someday!
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    I really like the idea of mounting the spare under the trunk floor,you just gain so much room. The biggest problem that I see would be relocating the fuel fill with a tank on the

shelf. That is some pretty work, you should be proud! What is the paint your using

there? is that like a weld thru primer or something? Awesome website too.
  • rambos_ride
    TwinH wrote:
    I really like the idea of mounting the spare under the trunk floor,you just gain so much room. The biggest problem that I see would be relocating the fuel fill with a tank on the

shelf. That is some pretty work, you should be proud! What is the paint your using

there? is that like a weld thru primer or something? Awesome website too.

Thanks for the compliments on the site!

That is weld thru primer - I use a lot of it between panels and behind rust patches. It is also rust inhibitive.

For those DIY out there who don't know about weld thru primer it's made so that you can still strike an arc against it and it doesn't burn away completely so thus leaving rust inhibitive primer between your pinch welds and behind rust patches - it is not meant to be topcoated however and you can see in the pictures I sprayed the primer over the roughed out welds. This is because the back end of the car is hanging out of my carport - which is where I am doing all the major fabrication - outside- but at least it has a roof

There's always that fuel vs looks vs functionality problems! I know that race cars mount fuels cells inside the trunk area and you just fill them by opening the trunk - the only thing I'm leary off is are they vented properly to mount that way in having some vent hose outlet?

Moving the spare underneath would really clean the inside of the trunk up and I would rather the spare tire take the brunt of any unfortunate road bumps along the way than my fuel tank (see the old pictures of my original tank on the website!)

I wouldn't use this design of mount but it gave me some cool ideas to someday automate retreival of the spare if mounted under the vehicle.

fp_stdtire.jpg

fp_accesstire.jpg

Compliant Systems Design Laboratory

Then if the fuel cell inside the trunk will work you don't need the outter gas door but I was thinking about taking where the filler neck descends and just below the gas cap and custom mount a battery cut-off switch - it would still look original from the outside with a gas cap. That way I keep the outside looking original and if someone wanted to mount the tank underneath and use the original filler door again they could - reversible customization! :cool:

Probably too many late nights dreaming of driving the Hudson... :rolleyes:
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hey Rambos ride,

I am going thru the same situation of gas tank placement in my Hudson. If you are interested in having a gas tank filler on the outside of the car and the tank below the package tray check out what Egberts Street Rods did on a custom Hudson. Check out: www.egbertsstreetrods.com

I would send the photo of this myself but I have not figured out how to attach a photo to my comment.

Chaz
  • rambos_ride
    Hey Rambos ride,

I am going thru the same situation of gas tank placement in my Hudson. If you are interested in having a gas tank filler on the outside of the car and the tank below the package tray check out what Egberts Street Rods did on a custom Hudson. Check out: www.egbertsstreetrods.com

I would send the photo of this myself but I have not figured out how to attach a photo to my comment.

Chaz

I found Egberts site last year after grabbing my 49 off ebay so I went back out there on your advice. I plan on taking one styling cue that I like from his car in making my front door windows 1 piece by removing the wing windows and having the glass made up.

With the wing windows on the 4dr Commodores there is no room to put my arm comfortably and the dog can't get his head out for dog cookies at drive-up windows!

After all it is Rambos Ride!

If appears to me that you can mount a fuel cell inside the trunk area - of course I forgot fuel systems are closed these days with fuel bypass/return hoses so venting shouldn't be an issue if mounted in the trunk.
  • mrsbojigger
    Yes, Egberts car has also given me inspiration for my car. I am looking for something to use as a fuel tank in the trunk area as you know, possibly in the area above the axle. I want to use the fuel pump/pickup from a 2001 full size Chevy pickup since I purchased it along with all the running gear from it (LS1 Vortec/4L60 trans) to go in my Hudson.

I have come across a couple of possiblilities which would be "ready to go".

1. '72 Chevy truck conversion tank. 21 gallons, dimensions are 29"x17"x14"

2. 2001 S10 Chevy truck tank. 18.5 gallons, dimensions are 41 1/4"x14 3/4"x13 1/2"

Fuel cells sound interesting but can't find any with close dimensions.

If you have any ideas about tanks to fit in this area or what would be an alternative let me know.

thanks,

Chaz
  • rambos_ride
    Yes, Egberts car has also given me inspiration for my car. I am looking for something to use as a fuel tank in the trunk area as you know, possibly in the area above the axle. I want to use the fuel pump/pickup from a 2001 full size Chevy pickup since I purchased it along with all the running gear from it (LS1 Vortec/4L60 trans) to go in my Hudson.

I have come across a couple of possiblilities which would be "ready to go".

1. '72 Chevy truck conversion tank. 21 gallons, dimensions are 29"x17"x14"

2. 2001 S10 Chevy truck tank. 18.5 gallons, dimensions are 41 1/4"x14 3/4"x13 1/2"

Fuel cells sound interesting but can't find any with close dimensions.

If you have any ideas about tanks to fit in this area or what would be an alternative let me know.

thanks,

Chaz

Custom tanks run about 450.00 and up depending on materials used and features.

I roughly measured my back shelf at 43x18x14 with little clearance. Most standard 20 gal fuel cells I've found pre-fabricated (Jeggs, Summit) are

24x20x10 so would overhang if mounted on the rear shelf.

What I was thinking is using 2 15-gallon tanks which are normally about 20x18x10 - a perfect fit and at 10" high allows for internal fueling without having to mount a custom (ala egberts) external filler - so what if I have to open the trunk it's a piece of cake with the gas lifts installed!

And it gives me a total 30 gallon capacity :cool:

Photo of a Summit Racing 15 gallon tank with 90Ohm sending unit.

fp_fuelcell.jpg
  • mrsbojigger
    Thanks for the info.

Chaz
This discussion has been closed.