engine mfg'r

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
did continental make the powerdome 6 cylinder in my 46 commadore ? or who ? and who did the straight 8's of that era ?

thanks, davidh

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Daivid, Hudson made all their engines themselves since around 1915, maybe a couple of years earlier.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    The only connection, that I know of, between Continental and Hudson was Continental supplied engines from late 1911 thru the 1916 6-40 Model G. In fact the 1914-1916 Six-40 engine featured a bore and stroke of 3½ x 5 inches for 288.6 CID - if that sounds familiar check out the Hudson Super-Six - it's the same.

It took me 30 years to find the answer - and it was under my nose most of the time in a 1916 Hudson information book. Hudson engineers designed the 288.6 engine and Continental built it. However, Hudson built the Super Six 288.6 engine with the compensated crankshaft. My theory is Hudson engineers used the Continental built engine as a test bed. Were the 1st Hudson Super-Six engines actually Continental blocks with the compensated crankshaft - I haven't found the answer to that one yet. But it's certainly possible.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Hudson did get lots of their castings done by Continental, as well as other foundries. Many Hudson cylinder heads have the "CL" trade mark embossed on them. Others have "CWC" and others have a Triangle. Blocks and bell housings the same. My jet (r.h.d.) has a Continental-cast bell housing. So the answer is, yes Hudson did use Continental, but only as a supplier of Hudson-designed components. Unlike Graham which advertised "Continental engines used in our 1936 Crusaders are to Graham's exclusive design". Very strange co-incidence that exactly the same engie was used in Oliver tractors!.

Geoff.
This discussion has been closed.