1930 Hudson Great 8

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hey Folks,

my buddy is putting together his 1930 Hudson Great 8 and we are having problems with the fit of windshield. The windshield and frame slides into a hinge and then it can swing in and out. It fits in but the windshield does not seem to fit right. you cannot push the windshield shut. Seems to sit out at bottom. We think we have to bend the lip connected to the body. Anyone got any tips or tricks to making this fit right. Or better still a close up photo that may guide us.

You can see the car over at my Hud site at:

http://www.hudsonmotorcar.org/coppermine/displayimage/album=13/pos=9.html

any help appreciated.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You need to talk to Carl Weber. He has a '30 Great Eight convertible (though come to think of it, the windshield may be different...but I'll bet he can give you some good advice). He's friendly and helpful and may even have parts for the '30, for sale. He's in Mass., check the H-E-T Roster.
  • 51hornetA wrote:
    Hey Folks,

my buddy is putting together his 1930 Hudson Great 8 and we are having problems with the fit of windshield. The windshield and frame slides into a hinge and then it can swing in and out. It fits in but the windshield does not seem to fit right. you cannot push the windshield shut. Seems to sit out at bottom. We think we have to bend the lip connected to the body. Anyone got any tips or tricks to making this fit right. Or better still a close up photo that may guide us.

You can see the car over at my Hud site at:

http://www.hudsonmotorcar.org/coppermine/displayimage/album=13/pos=9.html

any help appreciated.

Very Very nice car... I do not see much around about the early 30s Hudsons..Thanks Ron
  • My buddy has spent the last 26 years working on this car and he has manufactured so many parts for it. I am amazed at the things he has made. I will post more as we finish building her. One thing I can say is they were sure built solid in those days.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Ron P wrote:
    Very Very nice car... I do not see much around about the early 30s Hudsons..Thanks Ron

Ditto! Very nicely done so far, very clean looking :)

I'm only going to hypothzise since I have not worked on one of these before, but heres my .02

fp_window.jpg

Do the doors align to the windshield pillars correctly?

If that area looks good I wouldn't think the lower lip of the surround to be an issue. I would be more suspect of binding within the hinge and windshield mounting system (I think you said the window frame slides into the hinge?)

I know this type of thing happens on car door hinges all the time - when they get hit they tweak and cause binding when trying to open or close the door.

Was the hinge and or window channel rusty - or replaced? It looks as if someone had tried to push the window open at one time but it was rusted or sticking and this might have caused the hinge and mounting points to tweak causing the binding which might not allow it to fully close.

Will the window fit flush to the surround if not attached to the hinge or if the hinge is not in place?
  • No rust the car was completely sand blasted and the channel was clean and free. The adjustment is in how you bend the hinge you see at the top of the windshield. Its really down to how you bend it and tweak it. We were hoping someone had done this and could say bend it a little here a little there. I have worked a lot on stepdowns and these oldies are a world unto themselves. Need to talk to someone who has done one of these I will track down Jon's contact. As you can see we chipped the new paint adjusting it. I was hoping for a little been there know how.

Thanks for the comments. I will pass along the compliments my buddy has lived with this job too long and needs someone to tell him he did ok. I stepped into help him get her done and on the road for our meet next month. I think we will be in good shape.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The secret is in the angle of the toggle lever bracket. You have to get that right so it pulls the screen right back in to the frame. You may have to alter the shape to get the leverage correct. Good luck,

Geoff.
  • What a terrific job.I am part way through my 35 year project on a 30H8 sedan. Its still in bits.I've had the car since 1967and started the resto in 1970 after the engine blew up.I just did a trial fit of the windscreen and hinge. Perhaps you dont actually have a problem as the the windscreen closing latch pulls the frame in under a slight tension.My frame hangs as you have decsribed and all I have done is remove repaint and replace.

Cheers Stu
This discussion has been closed.