carburetor question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello all,

I have a twin-H setup on my 308, with WA1-968S carbs. There is a check ball under the low speed jet which is lodged in place (both carbs). My shop manual makes NO mention of this check ball period. Is this ball supposed to be there? The car will not idle at all, idle circuit adjustments make no difference. Has anyone been in their 968S recently?

Thanks, Mike Bergeron

Comments

• To my knowledge there should not be a check ball under the low speed jet. Placing a ball under the jet effectively shuts down the low speed circuit. This is a sensitive jet.

Update** checked both of the 968S' I have on the bench and both have a check ball on the low speed jet. Looked up this ball in my Carter Lit. Said it helps eliminate rough idle. Have to look elsewhere. Are you rebuilding these carbs? probably a good idea.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The only ball check valve I am aware of in the WA1 carb is the one for the delivery port for the accelerator pump, and it is essential that this is in place, otherwise fuel can be drawn in here all the time causing excessive fuel consumption, and the pump will not work properly, resulting in a flat spot upon acceleration.

Geoff.
  • 51HornetA,

Were the check balls free in there? I would imagine so, otherwise they wouldn't be "check" balls. I rebuilt these carbs 3 years ago after purchasing the vehicle. After a lengthly engine and trans rebuild, I have just recently re-installed the drivetrain. I do not recall pulling the low speed jets during rebuild, if anything i probable just checked their diameter with a number drill. I have the carb bodies soaking in cleaner, I hope I do not need to drill a tiny hole beneath the ball to push it out. I'll check back later today, thanks for your assistance. Mike Bergeron
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, they have to be able to move otherwise as you say they are not doing anything except blocking the orifice!

Geoff.
  • Yes the ball moves freely and comes out easily. After pulling down my 968 and finding this then checking the other 968 and finding same I checked my 2 foot thick Carter reference binder and it refers to this ball being used to smooth out rough idle. I have rebuilt other WA-1's and not found this so I am wondering whats up with this particular model.

Like all good bulletins the report just says it fixs the problem not what the problem is really caused by.
  • 51hornetA, I PM'ed you. I have more questions. Thanks, Mike
  • sent an email to the address you provided.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    If anybody's interested I just put a neat little Marvel Carb booklet on my computer. It's small enough, 10 pp, to be emailed.

Hudsonly,

Alex B

(HET)hudsontech09@yahoo.com (Drop the HET)
  • 51HornetA, your email didn't make it thru... try it again if you could, Thanks. HETmichael.j.bergeron@baesystems.com
This discussion has been closed.