FYI On Traffic Light Viewers

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1947-48-49-50-51-52-53-Chevrolet-Traffic-light-viewer_W0QQitemZ4569638698QQcategoryZ34206QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FYI- I bought one of these off of e-bay (from another vendor) and just put it on my Commodore. It looks sweet! It comes with two different mounts. One that allows you to mount it on the window trim screw (no drilling!) Just remove the existing screw, put the screw thru the new mount and screw it back in) the other included mount is a drilled hole in the dash mount. For a good selection check e-bay motors under "traffic light viewer". As with all search engines, you have to be very specific. If you say "traffic light finder" on e-bay, you won't get any hits. Niels

Comments

• dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    If you are going with aftermarket viewer, why not go with the Guide reproduction that is available on e-bay? This is the same as was sold by Hudson dealers. There is slight concave defect in top of reproduction that can be left as is, or filled and painted. The arm can be replaced with a bolt with ball head from any old guide mirror. traffic light viewer on e-bay
  • Humm. This is the first I have seen of this repro and my original is not up to snuff. Dave S, can you elaborate on the "defect" you mention above? I am interested in buying one.
  • dave s wrote:
    If you are going with aftermarket viewer, why not go with the Guide reproduction that is available on e-bay? This is the same as was sold by Hudson dealers. There is slight concave defect in top of reproduction that can be left as is, or filled and painted. The arm can be replaced with a bolt with ball head from any old guide mirror. traffic light viewer on e-bay

The "Shell" design is also a Guide model reproduction. Don't know if Hudson dealers offered them but I know they were used on many GM models for the same years. Its a matter of personal taste, but I like the look of the shell design better but they both look great.

If you look on e-bay under "Fulton", you'll see a couple NOS Fulton traffic light finders going for the $300.00 to $350.00 range... enjoy!
  • Mine is an original Guide "shell" type that is mounted by the original hole in the dash. I really like it. I was lucky, the traffic light finder was in the Wasp when I got it and I soon found out how indispensible it was.

I'm glad to see both types are still available. I'd also like another "shell" type for the '49.

Mark Hudson
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    The defect is slight concave depression in prism. I filled one with body filler and painted one and the only way you can see defect is looking up before it is installed. I have also seen them installed as is.
This discussion has been closed.