Bought the '53, need head gasket

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Howdy

Well, I bought the '53 Hornet. Somebody has loosened some of the headbolts for some reason. I figger I should go ahead and pull the head and at least replace the head gasket. Gonna try and get her to fire up and see what happens from there. Its got the 308 twin H power with hydromatic. Wish me luck!

Billy

Comments

• dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Good luck.. FOR All gaskets are either new or N.O.S., all cork and paper gaskets are new manufacture. He has bearings, valves guides and springs, timing components, pistons and rings (some original pinned piston rings) , lifters, oil pumps & kits, thrust washers and crank spacers for vibration damper 1931-56 6 and 1934-52 8. Catalog is viewable online at http://www.hudsonmotorcarco.com For snail mailed copy of catalog or order Dale Cooper, 7444 Vine and Paddock, Cincinnati, OH 45216-1712 or call (513) 821-6200 .
  • Hi Billy,--- While you have the head off, do a visual inspection & maybe a compression check in an attempt to find out why the head bolts were loose in the first place. Good luck. Cliff Minard.
  • I'll second that recommendation for Dale Cooper, I have nothing but good things to say about his offerings and have heard the same from other folks who have bought things from him.

So, one rod and one original - seems a trend is emerging in the volunteer state. Way to go Billy!

Mark Hudson
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    OK, Cliff ... tell,us your secret. How do you do a compression check with the head off? LOL!
  • Hi Park,--- That will require a special tool which I have never seen. My thinking is not too good in the mornings. Cliff Minard.
This discussion has been closed.