What is the difference between a "Super" Wasp and Wasp?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Howdy,

What is the difference between a Super Wasp and Wasp? Also, what is the differnce between a Super Jet and Jet? Thanks, Niels

Comments

• Niels, the short answer for both questions is trim. The Wasp was the lowest cost car in the model year and the Super wasp was on step up. The Wasp normally was nude with respect to all the trim while the Super wasp got a watered down version of the big car trim. The non optioned interiors were the same. Wasp=lowest cost, Super Wasp= a bit better while the top of the lines carried the best. Jet was same with Super Jet being the Top of the line.

Now for those who know the options....

All bets are off ... as Hudson would allow the purchaser to buy a WASP and option it with leather or the top of the line fabric interiors. Same is true of the trim ... many of the lower priced cars could be ordered with a set of the upgrade trim ... most of these cars were not optioned ... as the cost of the car was what set the original purchase decision.

Hope this helps

Cheers
  • Niels- According to the Motors Manual '53 and '54 Wasps have 1 3/4" wide front brake shoes and Super Wasps have 2 1/4". I did the brakes on a '54 Super Wasp a while back and they were 2 1/4". Both are short wheel base cars, like the Pacemaker. Norm
  • Thanks for the info.... one last question: what size engines were in these?
  • nhp1127 wrote:
    Thanks for the info.... one last question: what size engines were in these?
    My good friend and HET data provider Alex Burr has posted the information you desire at this URL http://groups.msn.com/HudsonGeneralSpecifications

I have the same link on my webpage.

Cheers:D
  • And the over looked that the Super Wasp was just plain "Super" :D
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Did the Super Wasp have the 262 engine rather than the 232 ?
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    The '52 "Wasp" was an upscale "Pacemaker" and had a 262. The "Wasp", in 1953, replaced the "Pacemaker". It has a 232. The "Super Wasp" was upscale in trim, and also engine with a 262.
  • Also, in 52, the wasp line had the more dressed up trim around the windows, like the hornet and commodore lines. I guess the best thing to say about a wasp in 52, is that it's a short wheelbase commodore 6. (Since the 52 commodore 8's had the heavier Hornet side trim and the commodore 6's had the lighter thinner side trim than their hornet brethren)

In 53, they made it easier, or mor edifficult, by giving the car buyer a choice, a wasp, which was now the pacemaker, or the super wasp which was, the commodore 6 replacement.

In 54, who knows what was happening.... I guess the Hornet special was the super wasp "upper middle", the Super wasp then became the "middle lower" (read... original wasp, or super) and the wasp was the pacemaker....

Kind of sounds confusing...
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    So the model lineup from the base model to the most expensive was Wasp, Super Wasp, and Hornet in '53 (I'm leaving out the Jet here)

Then Wasp, Super Wasp, Hornet Special, and Hornet, in 1954
  • sounds correct...

In 52, it was...

Pacemaker

Wasp

Commodore

Hornet

and 51, it was

Pacemaker

Super

Commodore

Hornet

and 50

Pacemaker

Super

Commodore

48-49

SUper

Commodore
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    929DSC00003-med.JPG Here is a pic of my 54 "WASP"..pretty plain...No arm rest in the rear, Only one Dome light and No crome around the front window
  • But, a very nice car anyway!!!! Thanks for sharing the pic from you mixed make meet Tom!
  • Niels, in case you want to know a couple differences between a 54 Hornet Hollywood and a 54 Super Wasp Hollywood

I. interior: a. the Super Wasp Holywood had only 2 lights above the front seat, located in the headliner, and the Hornet had 4 lights in the headliner, 2 over the front seat and 2 over the back seat. The Super Wasp did have the buckets for 4 lights (discovered once the headliner was removed) and when I restored mine, I purchased a couple more lights, did some extra wiring and I now have the luxury of 4 overhead lights that operate from an on-off switch I put under the dash.

b. The Super Wasp back seat upright was originally solid, w/o the center-located, pull-down arm rest ; all Hornet Hollywood's had the armrest "from the factory". I purchased a rear upright seat, w/arm rest, from a donor 54 4-door Hornet sedan car and adapted it to fit my Super Wasp. I believe these were options available to the original purchaser. It looks a lot better with these enhancing options added, and not cheaper w/o them.

II. Exterior, the SS side trim was narrower and the bumper guards were smaller and lighter.

III. The Super Wasp had a 262 engine and the Hornet had a 308; I replaced the 262 with a 7X engine (308 + .060") buildup w/232 head.

Hope this didn't get too far off base.
  • To all, thanks for the info. It may come in very handy when I look at some cars next Monday.
This discussion has been closed.