Horn Relay Question

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I've upgraded my '49 Super Six to 12V, and in the process replaced the old beat up stock horn relay with an Echlin 12V, supposedly for a '56-57 Hudson, that I found on ebay. The first time I tried it with my new wire harnesses installed, etc., it worked fabulous. It hasn't worked since, now the relay just clicks. Does this mean this relay is bad?

Thanks for the help.

Doug

Comments

• Easy test, run jumper wire from battery to horn. If it blows, relay is bad. wink.gif
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    DID YOU USE THE OLD 6 VOLT HORN?? I would take a test gauge and see if you have 12 volt at the horn if you have 12 volt then your horns are not working you may have burned them up they after all they are 6 volt horns they are adjustable try and adjusting them
  • I used my 6 volt horns on my 49 coupe with a 12 volt conversion. It really gets peoples attention. I used them for a couple of days until I put the inner fenders back in and they worked fine for that period of time. I dont know about extended use though.
  • 6 volt horns will work indefinately on 12 volt system as long as you don't lean on the button for too long. Had them on one of my older cars for years, were still on it when I sold it.It certainly does get someones attention.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Since my initial post, both horns have 'healed' themselves. First one, then the other. Now, at least for a week or so, they seem to be working just fine. They had been sitting for a year or so, at the time, maybe they were just a little sticky.

On 12V, they sound like a freight train!! Short little blasts is all your ears can take anyway!
This discussion has been closed.