When I pull my head off, do I need this?

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    NO.. Cast iron is the way to go on these engines unless you find a Clifford 3" thick Aluminum head.

Those make nice garage wall ornaments.

Dave W. Fl
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    This particular head was used only on the '51 Hornets anyway, so wouldn't be original unless you have a '51. Contrary to common belief these heads, as long as they have a good gasket surface, aren't particularly troublesome. The secret is in using Clifford's recommended bolt torquing procedure instead of what Hudson put in the manual. I've been running one on my Hornet for some time now, with no seepage or other problems.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm curious, Park... when you use an aluminum head and follow the correct torquing procedure, is that it? No need to use a special headgasket, gasket paste, or antifreeze, to prevent deterioration? The steel head studs (or bolts) do not need isolation from the aluminum to prevent corrosion? I don't imagine I'll ever find an aluminum head for my '37 but just wondered what the story was on these things!
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Check my website @ http://groups.msn.com/HudsonTechnicalInformation/

The two of interest are TS 77-11 and TS 77-15. I thought I had a tech sheet with Clifford's information.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Thanks, guys, for the info. I think I'll pass on that one. I did see a Clifford Head on Ebay a while back, and seems that it went a mite high. Have ya noticed how many twin set-ups are showing up on Ebay? And what they are going for???

Billy
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    I called Clifford yesterday for their recommendations, torque sequence, etc. and they referred me to a HET member in Oregon. Thought that seemed a little odd...

But Mr. Harmon was more than helpful.
  • If ya pull ya head off mate you ain't gonna need anything, and someone else has gotta clean up after!!!! LOL
  • TwinH the days of Clifford being a leader in Hudson parts stopped when Jack Clifford died. We are lucky we can still get the few items they stock now. When I emailed about my Hudson needs I got a reply 2 monthes later then I called to order my headers and I thought I would shoot the Hudson BS with them and got dead air. Its my thinking rightly or wrongly that we may see the day when you can't get anything Hudson from them. Don't think you can blame them Hudsons were Jack Cliffords passion and one I don't think is shared with the Clifford people now. Probably don't sell a lot of Hudson stuff anymore. Its a shame but business is business.
This discussion has been closed.