overdrivefor 46, 6 cyl

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
anyone have a overdrive transmission for my son's 46 commodore 6 that would bolt right in ? and possibly trade for a drivemaster transmission from a 47 commodore 8 ? or is this not a good idea for the 46 ? also, i have checked, tightened, re-bearing'd and aligned the 46front end. its perfect according to the front end shop, and it has bias tires. . . . would the tires be the culprit thats causing the wandering on old highways or is the car just a slug to drive above 50 ? ? ? thanks for your comments in advance

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'd try Al Saffrahn, he's the overdrive guru in the Club. He may have some that he's rebuilt, for sale.

As to wandering, this should not be a problem in a car that's that new. (My '37 needs a slight correction once in awhile, going down the highway, and you sure can't let go the wheel and expect to go straight as you would a modern car, but it doesn't 'wander', nor should yours). You asked the shop about the kingpins, tie rod ends and steering box itself? And the sway bar connections are all tight?

Is the car wandering on all roads or just some? Are you driving it on Interstates with the 'trucker's ruts'? THAT will cause wandering in any bias-ply-tired car. High crowned country roads might be the culprit too.
  • davegnh
    davegnh Expert Adviser
    Did you check the "center point" steering? If there is play in that center assembly your car will wander. See if you have up and down movment, you can replace the bearings in there and it will improve it.
This discussion has been closed.